FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: OMG! I want to make this cake  (Read 11840 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: OMG! I want to make this cake
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 03:32:29 PM »
I'm really thinking that GANACHE needs to figure heavily in any version of that thing that enters MY life, tyvm...

BIG fan of ganache, I am.    :heart:  Shamelessly so, I fear.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
That looks amazing!  I love that blog and have made some things from it before.  I'm going to make that cake for my chocoholic DH for his birthday or maybe our anniversary!  Thanks for posting!

HK...what else have you made from her blog?  I use her pancake and chocolate chip cookie recipes all the time.

hk

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 06:22:33 PM »
That looks amazing!  I love that blog and have made some things from it before.  I'm going to make that cake for my chocoholic DH for his birthday or maybe our anniversary!  Thanks for posting!

HK...what else have you made from her blog?  I use her pancake and chocolate chip cookie recipes all the time.

I used this cookie recipe as inspiration and changed it around a bit:
http://artofdessert.blogspot.com/2010/03/crazy-delicious-egg-free-cookies.html

Some success with the egg-free royal icing (I'm loyal to my Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar cookies so I made the cookies with those):
http://artofdessert.blogspot.com/2010/12/egg-free-sugar-cookies-with-egg-free.html

Egg-free double chocolate cookies:
http://artofdessert.blogspot.com/2009/11/egg-free-double-chocolate-chip-cookies.html

I just noticed that she had egg-free brownies on her site.  I'll check those out for sure.

I have a lot of egg-free recipes that I love already and often just use her site as inspiration.  Her cakes are amazing.

CM - I agree about the ganache!  My version is going to have that plus LOTS of Guittard chocolate chips!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
LOL.... ganache.  I'm thinking.. Oooooooooooo chocolatey and SHINY....  OOoooooo.... :misspeak: :heart:

Good to know about the royal icing.  Might have to try that with gingerbread this year.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:17 AM »
Attempted to ruin this cake 3 times yesterday.  Will frost it today...and finally get to taste it tonight.  The first one I made we didn't get to try...so will definitely report back later today!

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 08:28:51 PM »
It's good, but I think I might like it better without all the chocolate chips on the side...I want my frosting to be creamy not crunchy with chips.  We'll be having it again tomorrow night for DH's birthday.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2011, 04:22:43 PM »
How did it turn out?  I felt the same way when I looked at the cake....I love how the chocolate chips look , but I knew if I made the cake that way, I'd pick them off my peice. 
It looks so delicious! 
I'm with you on the ganache....Had it for the first time a few years ago.  My friend made a tray of brownies, but didn't cut them.  she cut the brownie so there was a top and bottom, iced it, put it back together.  Poured ganache on it and cut it in the shape of a xmas tree.  decorated with red piping icing.  omg.  delicious.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
It hadn't occurred to me to pick of each individual chip yet...might have to try that tonight.  The one thing that bugged me about making it this time was I used a package of chocolate chips that had been sitting in my pantry for a couple weeks so the chocolate chips were "chalky" looking.  I should have melted that bag because of course the next bag I opened to melt were perfect.

It's a good cake but definitely needs vanilla ice cream to cut the chocolate.  It's a great cake for visual impact.  I'll probably make it again as a donation for our spring fling cake walk at school...I only donate, we don't participate in the food portion of the event.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45:07 PM »
Ok, new update.  I think I need to shorten the baking time on the cake since I cooked it the whole 45 minutes.  Also, I prefer it without the chocolate chips so I can have the creamy frosting without the crunch.  I put chopped up twix and kit kats on top which are not a good choice if the cake isn't being consumed in the first night, but like the carmel aspect of the twix. 

So I'm thinking if I make this for us again I will put chocolate chips on the sides and top of one half(DH likes the chips but can do without the candy bars) and then put chopped up milky way and/or rolos on the other half, then drizzle the melted chocolate over the whole cake.

I'll update if this ever happens...it's going to be a LONG time before we need this cake again.

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 03:30:35 PM »
So it's February school vacation and I told DS he had to have a baking lesson so this cake is what he picked to make.  He made the cake and I made the frosting, but then he had to leave for swim practice.  I frosted and decorated the cake.  Had an issue with the drizzle, must have heated the chocolate too fast so ended up using it as a top layer of frosting over the candy (chopped rolos and milky way), coated the sides with the mini enjoy life chocolate chips.  Will have a sliver after dinner which will be a salad!

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 10:54:38 PM »
You know, I don't really like much chocolate or cake that isn't cheesecake, but I feel like you could call this a chocolate salad and just go with it.  ;D

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
DD's BFF is stopping by to have a piece with DD this morning, DS already had it for breakfast.  My sister will be stopping by after her deposition for a piece with a cup of coffee.  Apparently I just need to bake more if I want company!  I'll probably have a piece mid afternoon since I don't want it after dinner.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2019, 04:00:08 AM »
I really think that you can make this cake work for any meal, you know.

Snack/Dessert - Obviously it is cake.

Breakfast - It's a large scale muffin.  Let's be serious, the bakery at the local grocery makes 'muffins' that are chocolate chip with chocolate frosting, double chocolate, cinnamon chip with cream cheese frosting - if they can call those muffins, you can call the cake an oversized muffin.

Lunch - It's a chocolate salad.

Dinner - It has layers, so it is just a chocolate lasagna.

You win.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2020, 08:37:50 PM »
It’s a winner, and Egg free. I would add a small amount of espresso powder to deepen the chocolate:

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/278906/chocolate-guinness-bundt-cake-with-whiskey-whipped-cream/

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US