FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food in Schools, Part Deux  (Read 37519 times)

Description: for your add ons

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Food in Schools, Part Deux
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:11:44 PM »
So, St. Patrick's Day is coming up soon.

I'm sure that in quite a few classrooms in the USA there will just HAVE TO BE cupcakes with green frosting or sprinkles . . . and some kind of counting exercise with green candies.

Afterall, what would St. Paddy do?

:tongue:

You mean when the kids set up leprechaun traps and the leprechaun leaves candy on each of their desks.

Oh, we also had a taste test since the kids are learning about the 5 senses so there were 2 items of sour, sweet, and salty for the kids to taste.

Offline Punky

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 12:36:01 PM »
Last week in music my DD's second grade music teacher used dried pasta for the kids to, uh, hold? while they sang a song about pasta. My daughter refused to participate with the pasta holding  :thumbsup: (good girl!) and used paper clips instead.

Soooo, I get a voicemail from the music teacher saying she's planning to put jelly beans in plastic eggs next week during music. And is there something my DD can use that "will shake" that she can eat afterwards?

GRRR!  :banghead:

Yeah...how about they all use rocks, marbles, and non-food stuff that "will shake"?!?  :rant:  Seriously, this music teacher needs to quit trying to kill my kid.
DD age 7 - Anaphylaxis to peanuts, treenuts, and eggs. (Outgrew dairy at age 5!)

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 05:14:59 PM »
I got the full scoop about a situation that occurred a couple years ago at the end of year ice cream party.
they had an ice cream party.  one child allergic to eggs, pn, some other things.  the mom running the event friends with the allergic child's mom.  They agreed on an ice cream that was safe.  At one point, a mom brought in a container of ice cream that "her" child preferred.  She was told they didn't want/need it. 
The mom put the ice cream in the coolers they were using. 
several lines/tables put up and allergic child is next....he asks to see the ice cream and the mom said oh (Mrs. XX and your mom chose the ice cream, you're good to go) and wouldn't show the label.  (because she was harried and trying to serve up 100+bowls of ice cream. 
Well, wouldn't you know that the ice cream he got was the one the mom brought and it contained egg.  The kid immediately knew after one bite and went into Ana shock. 

He needed 2 epi pen shots, stayed overnight in the hospital.  all for a stupid ice cream party.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline rainbow

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
Wow, Mfamom.  Now that story is a perfect example of why food in schools is NOT a good idea.  Perhaps that one is good for posting on Gina's blog or Bettina's Lunch Tray or somewhere.

This was your elem school right? Did people try not to let you hear this story at the time?  And now the same prinicipal that you convinced to do safe food activities is regressing, and doing more food events again?!!

:nocupcakes:

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
different school.  ds grade though. 

Mistakes at every point.  Moms in charge of the food.  People bringing unapproved food, etc.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »
Again,

totally AVOIDABLE if there would have been a FOOD FREE celebration/event.

The food was unnecessary.

The child's RIGHT TO HIS PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL SAFETY would have been the necessary and appropriate accommodation . . .

EXCLUDE the food and INCLUDE (and potentially protect the child from immediate danger and harm) the CHILD.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
I am surprised that type of thing doesn't happen more often.  It would be so easy for that type of mistake to happen and is a perfect example of why parties are a lot more complex than most schools realize.  Very scary.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »
So last week we had Cultural Arts Day where they had origami demonstrations, music from other cultures and food.  But not food that was related to different cultures, unless you count America - popcorn and snow cones. 

So I had a conversation with DS2's teacher that morning about him asking about a kid's snack and eating it and reiterated food from home only (not to mention several conversations at home with DS2 and DS1 as reminders).  So she apologized and said she understood.  So fast forward to four hours later when she urges DS2 to have a snow cone.  And he ate it.  DS1's teacher offered DS1 a snow cone sans flavoring but DS1 said no because he wasn't sure if it was safe, so he got some of his treats from his safe bag.

High risk or low risk, I don't care.  It violates our food only from home rule.  But the principal doesn't get that (why am I not surprised). 

On Friday it's field day which involves the kids making trail mix.  Or at least that was the preliminary plan (nurse asked if I could serve as allergy consultant but I didn't feel comfortable doing so) but I have no word as to the final plan. 

Only 11 days of school left - will my kids survive?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »

This makes my heart ache.

Contrast that with the parents with "no special needs" kids (but who may care about what is going on in the classroom) who likely may be just asking themselves THIS instead:
"Only 11 days of school left -- wonder if they're learning anything after the state mandated tests (SOL)?"   ~)

Perhaps some parents are musing, "Only 11 days of school left -- bet I can make some fabulous cupcakes that little Susie will L-O-V-E to share with all her friends at school!"

Not these LTFA families.

Our countdown is entirely different.

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
Linking to wonderful new thread here that relates as to the

PURPOSE of school:

(Thanks TwinTurbo for that link!!)

The Purpose of School, Dr. Merseth

http://player.vimeo.com/video/11876674?byline=0&portrait=0

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:57 PM »
Link to news story about Greely, Colorado:

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/school-bans-cookies-candy-cake.html

How interesting to note that nuts and eggs are within the school guidelines. 

I assume this policy is all about obesity and allergens and not at all about allergens.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 04:46:37 AM »

Why Is Everyone Always Giving My Kids Junk Food?

By Yoni Freedhoff
Feb. 20, 2013

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/02/20/why-is-everyone-always-giving-my-kids-junk-food
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:54:33 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 04:54:20 AM »
And

“Hey!! You With the Candy…. Leave Our Kids Alone!”

http://www.eatplaylivellc.com/hey-you-with-the-candy-leave-our-kids-alone/

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2013, 12:10:16 PM »
Nicole Smith, AllergicLiving blog, March 2013

Food Free Classrooms Can You Imagine
http://home.allergicchild.com/food-free-classrooms-can-you-imagine/