login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Close call--argh.  (Read 4758 times)

Description:

Offline my3guys

Re: Close call--argh.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 06:31:41 PM »
Glad you came in when you did eggallergymom. I understand how this could happen, and I understand why it would make your dd anxious.  I've had to intervene a few times here too with wrong milks being poured by DH. Heck, I poured the wrong milk once and caught myself and I'm incredibly anal with the allergies and food in the house. Mistakes can happen.  FWIW, I didn't take your post as most concerned with your dd's anxiety.  I interpreted that you understood her anxiety, you were relieved you caught the mistake, and that your DH got the message.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 06:33:14 PM by my3guys »

Offline eggallergymom

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 09:25:18 PM »
Thanks, my3guys. That was what I was going for with my post. :)
DD-age 9, LTFA to eggs, seasonal allergies, mild allergic asthma

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »
How is your daughter doing now about all this?
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline eggallergymom

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 10:49:37 AM »
AllergyMum, she has a bad case of bronchitis, so we've been busy with that the last few days. Her school is just rife with germs right now, and everything seems to be hitting earlier this year than in years past. Not sure why.

She and my DH have talked through what happened, and talked about how we'll make sure it never happens again. He's also apologized to her. I've instituted the great 3-check rule, so that he knows to check the labels at the store, when he's putting the food away, and before he serves it (thanks for that!) I am continuing to be vigilant, too.

I haven't seen the compulsive hand-washing, and she hasn't been asking a million questions about the source of the food,  which is good. We'll see how things go over the next month or so.

Bottom line--it was a huge mistake, he's aware of it and is changing his behavior, and she seems to be doing okay. Thanks again for your feedback, everyone. I knew it was a risk to post something like this, but thought it might be a useful discussion to have.
DD-age 9, LTFA to eggs, seasonal allergies, mild allergic asthma

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 09:46:18 PM »
I'm glad she is dealing well with it.  Is it a big deal?  Yes, but we all make mistakes.  I've done it myself.  You learn from it, and scare yourself silly with what ifs, and you try not to do it ever again.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 10:40:45 PM »
Knowing from past experience, it's really important that your DH gets involved.  My DH travels constantly so he doesn't deal with the day to day activities, meals, etc.  A year and a half ago, we were on vacation and I got the call on a Monday that my mother was in the hospital, but it wasn't serious yet so my sister told me to just wait a bit to see how things unfold.  By Tuesday night, she was heading to ICU and I was on a plane the next morning at 6 am.  I just left.  Luckily we rented a house and all the food that I brought/bought was safe for our DS.  But because DH doesn't deal with this stuff, he called me constantly to check brands and foods and how to handle a cake that was being served that DS couldn't eat.  Luckily I was available by phone/text/email...what if it had been me in the hospital?  How was my DH going to handle it then?

It's definitely more work to keep our DH's involved, but worth it in the long run.