imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: baking cookies  (Read 3273 times)

Description:

FAMom

baking cookies
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
My 10 yo has had a life long dairy allergy, but this holiday season we are facing a new egg allergy.  Discovered it when he had anaphylaxis to a dairy free french toast, then was specific IgE pos. to egg.

He still tolerates baked egg, although last holiday season, he was having some mouth itching to our homemade cookies.  This was before he was diagnosed with the egg allergy, and I couldn't figure out what the dairy contamination was.

Anyway, as we face the coming holiday baking season, I am wondering if he will not tolerate the egg in cookies, since they are not baked as long.  Has anyone else had this experience?

What are the best egg substitutes for cookies?  Although he tolerates most baked egg, I sometimes substitute with applesauce or banana in doughnuts or pancakes with decent results.  I also have some egg substitute that I purchased from a vegan store.  Any helpful hints would be great!  I'm new on the learning curve for egg...

Thanks!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: baking cookies
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »
A lot depends on the recipe.

Oatmeal cookies, and shortbread types don't really NEED egg in them anyway.

That is mostly what I make.

Sugar cookies, I've all but given up on, because they are such a royal PITA to make without egg, and the fact is that most icing contains it too.  Bleh.

Gingerbread cookies work pretty well without egg.  Once we get a little closer, I'll dig out my tried and true recipe.  I even have one that works for structural gingerbread.  (Like for building a house)

I often use tapioca starch in rolled cookies.  Be aware that most producers co-process treenuts, at the very least.  I hoard my safe stuff and use it sparingly so that I don't have to buy it often.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 05:14:24 PM »
Our roll out sugar cookie recipe, is actually more of a butter cookie.  It's also my absolute favorite cookie at the holidays.  I agree with CM- it does still work as a roll out using applesauce instead of egg, but, blech- what a PITA. What I've found though, is that it works terrific as a drop cookie.  I just roll the dough into 1 inch balls, dip in sugar or sprinkles and bake that way.  They spread into round sugar cookies.  So now we do one batch of roll outs for show and then just drop the rest  :yes:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline krasota

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
We use EnerG egg replacer quite often.  Flax goop or chia sometimes.

We're also GF and soy-free, so that complicates matters.  We do need a binder. 

I just used EnerG in some cookies tonight.  It works well in traditional chocolate chip cookies, too, GF or not. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 12:15:25 PM »
When I get a chance, I'll post recipes for two sugar-type cookies that we bake.  They do  have dairy in them but perhaps you'll know substitutes for them.  They are both for rolled cookies using cookie cutters.  I have made thumbprint type cookies with the cream cheese dough.  Both are very yummy.  I also found a shortbread recipe last year that doesn't require egg but I haven't tried it yet.  Also found a linzer recipe that doesn't use almonds but again I haven't tried it yet.

With our baked egg challeng guidelines from Hopkins, we have to build up to cookies because they're not baked as long and also tend to be chewy (therefore less cooked in the center) than cakey baked goods.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »
I do either egg replacer or the baking powder/oil/water .... and I add in xanthan gum as a binder.

I have some excellent dairy- and egg-free recipes as well for roll-out cookies, gingerbread cookies, and choco chip cookies.  Hubby has been making the gingerbread men for Halloween and decorating them with skeletons, LOL!   But wow, are they good!  Soft and dee-lish.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...