imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Extra Egg Yolks  (Read 2490 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Extra Egg Yolks
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »
Looked up some recipes dh wants me to bake for Christmas.  They use egg whites.  I'm going to end up with about six egg yolks.  any ideas what to do with them?

If it was ony one or two, I'd just add with eggs to make scrambled eggs....but that's a lot of yolk for that.

Offline Jessica

Re: Extra Egg Yolks
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »
You could make egg noodles. You just mix the yolks with a bit of water (for that many maybe a tablespoon or so) and then add flour until it's like a stiff rollable dough. You can roll it out and cut it or just pinch off pieces, flatten with your fingers, and drop them into broth or whatever.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline CookingMom

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
6 yolks aren't a lot to worry about.  Freeze each yolk, scrambled with a touch of salt--not more than a few granules, in an ice cube size tray.  Use as needed, one or two at at time, to enhance scrambled eggs, bread wash, pudding, etc.
DS - PA, TNA, chick peas (outgrew sesame seeds)
U.S.A.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 07:09:48 AM »
They scream pastry cream to me. Or perhaps a pound cake to make ahead now, slice and freeze.

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »
It has been years since I have cooked with eggs. 

So what did you finally do with them?
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 11:47:32 AM »
Lemon curd, pastry cream, flan, or any custard.
The 3 is silent.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 04:13:18 PM »
Haven't actually started my baking yet.  I needed to ask in advance, so I can plan.

I'll either freeze any I can't add that day to some other recipe, or I might try custard.  Jim would love that.  Although.....I cooked a really good dinner three days in a row and now he expects it all the time.  If I make him thesetwo batches of cookies AND custard he might not ever let me out of the kitchen. 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 10:06:32 PM »
I solved my dilemma.  I bought these little cartons of egg whites.  Didn't know such a thing was available.

Now, I just keep making these coconut macaroons, and everyone keeps eating them.  It's not helping me get my Christmas baking done. lol