FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Keebler Coconut Dreams  (Read 4619 times)

Description: Tree nuts not listed but it has coconut.

Offline YouKnowWho

Keebler Coconut Dreams
« on: October 31, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
So I was waiting for DS2's prescription in a store that I don't go to often, but it's a chain I frequent almost daily.

I saw the Keebler Coconut Dreams and my eyes opened up wide.  They look just like Samoas and according to this review, taste close to it as well
http://bakingbites.com/2010/07/keeblers-coconut-dreams-reviewed/

I figured they wouldn't be safe for my kids but I look anyway.  Great bolded statement - contains wheat, milk, eggs, soy and peanuts.  Okay, where is the tree nut label?  Nope, looked four times.  Read the ingredient list and coconut (flakes, not oil) is clearly listed (and you can tell on the box there is coconut).

I know the bolded warnings are a help, not a requirement.  And yes, the coconut was bolded but tree nuts were not listed, just peanuts. 

Is this worthy of calling on?  I know there are two trains of thought on coconut but the FDA does consider it to be a tree nut and while it was missing from the above and beyond listing it was located in the ingredient list.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Keebler Coconut Dreams
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
I'd call Keebler first to ask.

They tend to know the law (and the spirit of it) as well as any company I've ever contacted-- so if it isn't there, there is probably a good reason.

I wonder if the FDA has since backed off of their advice that it be counted as a treenut?

I have (personally) wondered if it doesn't paradoxically increaase risks to TNA persons because they might assume that a TN warning on a coconut product means only coconut is a problem in the product, YK?

Far, FAR more people are allergic to things that FALCPA doesn't address at all... which makes it a really bizarre thing to include.  And if coconut is a treenut, then wth is with shea??   :insane:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »
I wish there was some consistency with this.  But what else is new in the world of allergen labeling?  ~)

FWIW, I don't worry about either coconut or shea, because DS has been eating them both since long before they were considered tree nuts (since before I knew he was allergic to tree nuts, for that matter) and has never had a problem. 
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 07:17:39 AM »
Hi YKW,

This information is currently on the FDA website:

Guidance for Industry: Questions and Answers Regarding Food Allergens, including the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (Edition 4); Final Guidance

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/ucm059116.htm

[Added October, 2006] Section 201(qq) of the Act defines the term "major food allergen" to include "tree nuts." In addition to the three examples provided in section 201(qq) (almonds, pecans, and walnuts), what nuts are considered "tree nuts?"

The following are considered "tree nuts" for purposes of section 201(qq). The name listed as "common or usual name" should be used to declare the specific type of nut as required by section 403(w)(2).

Common or usual name Scientific name
Almond Prunus dulcis
(Rosaceae)
Beech nut Fagus spp.
(Fagaceae)
Brazil nut Bertholletia excelsa
(Lecythidaceae)
Butternut Juglans cinerea
(Juglandaceae)
Cashew Anacardium occidentale
(Anacardiaceae)
Chestnut (Chinese, American,
European, Seguin) Castanea spp.
(Fagaceae)
Chinquapin Castanea pumila
(Fagaceae)
Coconut Cocos nucifera L.
(Arecaceae (alt. Palmae))

and also this ....

May a "Contains" statement on a food label provided in accordance with FALCPA list only the names of the food sources of the major food allergens that are not already identified in the ingredient list for a packaged food?

No. If a "Contains" statement is used on a food label, the statement must include the names of the food sources of all major food allergens used as ingredients in the packaged food. For example, if "sodium caseinate," "whey," "egg yolks," and "natural peanut flavor" are declared in a product's ingredients list, any "Contains" statement appearing on the label immediately after or adjacent to that statement is required to identify all three sources of the major food allergens present (e.g., "Contains milk, egg, peanuts") in the same type (i.e., print or font) size as that used for the ingredient list..

-----------------------------

I might email this info to them and let them know that they do not seem to be following FDA's guidance regarding the FALCPA.

Maybe they have a good reason and can explain it to you/us.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:27:11 AM »
I suppose it is (just) possible that there isn't any real coconut protein in it-- that the flavoring is the artificial lactone and not naturally sourced.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
But the ingredient label reads coconut flakes - which I am guessing are the real thing?

I didn't see any peanut ingredients listed other than "Contains Peanuts".  Just wondering if they put contains Peanuts instead of Tree Nuts by accident.

Keep in mind that typical of Keebler products they had the bolded quick view statement under the ingredient label and they had the bolded ingredients within the ingredient label - coconut was bolded in the ingredient label.

I looked for them today but Wally World didn't carry them.  Will have to look at my other grocery store if I remember...
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 02:21:04 PM »
Okay, I remembered by accident today.  I took another look and even took pictures which as soon as my husband shows me how to upload from my phone, I will share here.

It does have a contains label for peanuts and not tree nuts.  The last ingredient is defatted peanut flour (which just sounds disgusting to me and I like peanuts).  And I looked at the ingredient list - it clearly lists coconut.

So here is my dilemma.  Do I send them the pictures and ask for clarification as to why it doesn't say it contains tree nuts?  Or do I just let it go - advocate in me says something needs to be done and while I know most people with coconut allergies would say no to the product based on the name alone, it just concerns me that it is omitted given the fact the FDA clearly states coconut is a tree nut.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA