Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Reactions & Stories

In Memory: Remembering those who've had fatal food reactions

(1/25) > >>

admin rebekahc:
This thread has been transferred from our former location.  Any new posts will be made here.

In Memory page 1
In Memory page 2
In Memory page 3
In Memory page 4
In Memory page 5
In Memory page 6
In Memory page 7
In Memory page 8
In Memory page 9
In Memory page 10

Page 11, the most recent page from our former location, is recreated in this thread rather than on a separate page.

admin rebekahc:
JR
Member
Posted: Jun 29th, 2011 at 07:24 pm   


Yes. But the information I recently read still indicated it was food induced anaphylaxis so I just wanted to read the source that said they were investigating a sting induced anaphylaxis. 
 
Jana
http://www.wafeast.org

Thank you to Conference Sponsors Spokane FASN, Allerbling, Allergy Monkey, Coconut Bliss, Dey the makers of EpiPen, Bastyr Center, Medic Alert, Navan Foods and Microsoft Employee Giving Programs!!

adult son: severe allergies to milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, coconut, shellfish, mollusks. Eczema, 

admin rebekahc:
SilverLining
Moderator1
Posted: Jul 21st, 2011 at 04:42 pm   


http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/israeli-woman-dies-of-allergic-reaction-after-eating-nutella-at-tel-aviv-restaurant-1.374529


--- Quote ---A 26-year-old woman died Thursday morning due to a severe nut allergy prompted by eating chocolate spread at a Tel Aviv restaurant, after the staff promised her the chocolate did not contain nuts.

Hen Efrat, an Eilat resident, was with her friends at a Tel Aviv restaurant last week when they ordered a Belgian waffle with ice cream and chocolate.


26-year-old Hen Efrat.

Photo by: Facebook

According to her friends, she told the waitress that she was allergic to nuts and asked her to make sure the chocolate spread was not Nutella, which contains nuts. Efrat repeatedly asked the waitress to make sure the chocolate was nut-free, and even told her that she could die from it if it did indeed contain nuts.

Once Efrat began eating the dessert she realized the chocolate spread did contain nuts, and was immediately taken to a Tel Aviv hospital after she had a severe allergy attack.

After several hours she suffered from shortness of breath and lost consciousness. Doctors tried to stabilize her condition for several days but her condition worsened and on Thursday she was declared brain dead. Her family agreed to donate her organs.

Efrat's mother said Thursday that her daughter was very aware of her condition and was always extremely careful to check that her food did not contain nuts, and said the restaurant staff lied to her. "They poisoned my daughter." she said.
--- End quote ---

 
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold. ~~~ Maurice Setter 
 

admin rebekahc:
JR
Member
Posted: Aug 2nd, 2011 at 02:01 pm   


Matthew Lee
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43975151/ns/local_news-los_angeles_ca/
Beating Witness Dies of Food Allergy: Reports

NBCLosAngeles.com
updated 8/1/2011 7:16:02 PM ET 2011-08-01T23:16:02
Font: +-[Update.: 3:28 p.m.] One of Bryan Stow's friends who witnessed the opening day attack against Stow at Dodger Stadium has reportedly died.

KFI AM reported Monday that Matthew Lee, 26, died Sunday due to an allergic reaction to peanuts. Authorities close to the case told the Los Angeles Times that Lee had an allergic reaction after eating a salad.

Earlier in the day, Lee was identified as a witness via documents filed by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office.

Earlier in the day, Lee was identified as a witness via documents filed by the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office.

If anyone comes acrosss a photo of him, please post the link (so far all the ones on the articles have been of Bryan Stow I think) or if anyone sees information if this salad was prepared at home or in a restaurant. 

Jana
http://www.wafeast.org

Thank you to Conference Sponsors Spokane FASN, Allerbling, Allergy Monkey, Coconut Bliss, Dey the makers of EpiPen, Bastyr Center, Medic Alert, Navan Foods and Microsoft Employee Giving Programs!!

adult son: severe allergies to milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, coconut, shellfish, mollusks. Eczema, 
 

admin rebekahc:
JR
Member
Posted: Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:25 am   

:-[
Christopher Hindley
Tragedy of young dad killed by milk allergy after a holiday meal

Rhiannon McDowall

August 03, 2011

A man with severe food allergies died after eating a meal made by friends on holiday.

Christopher Hindley, 35, of Lord Street, Bollington, went into anaphylactic shock on May 27, 2010, a month before his second child was born.

Bolton Coroner’s Court was told he was allergic to dairy produce but it wasn’t known which ingredients triggered the fatal reaction.

At an inquest Neil Harris said they were on a regular golfing holiday to St Andrews in Scotland.

They ate ‘poor man’s oysters’ – a South African dish made with sausage – and spaghetti bolognese in their rented cottage 15 minutes before Mr Hindley felt unwell.

He said: "Chris complained of shortness of breath and that he didn’t feel well.

"He went back to his room and asked for help using his EpiPen, then he asked me to call an ambulance."

Friends used the EpIPen – an insulin injection used to treat allergic reactions – and performed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation before the ambulance arrived, but Mr Hindley died soon after at hospital in Dundee.

A pathologist at Royal Bolton Hospital said anaphylaxis was the probable cause of death. Mr Hindley, who also suffered from asthma and underlying kidney disease, was being treated by allergy expert Professor Adnan Custovic, who told the court that microscopic amounts of dairy produce could have triggered the reactions.

He said: "We do not know the dose which will promote an allergic reaction for milk. We do know the threshold is extremely low – microgrammes."

Mr Hindley’s wife Joanne said they had discovered he was allergic in 2003 when he had a severe reaction to an omelette and he had reacted to buttermilk the week before he died.

She said: "He had a really bad reaction, he went up and slept for about 24 hours but then he was okay.

"Two or three days later he was back to normal again."

Recording a narrative verdict, Alan Walsh, deputy coroner for Manchester West, said: "On the balance of probability, Mr Hindley died from the ingestion of food containing dairy products. We do know that his food that evening was prepared with tomato powder which was brought from South Africa. The evidence is that it is not unusual for pre-prepared tomato products to contain milk powder and it's also commonly found in sausage."

Mr Hindley’s father Stephen, who lives in Bolton, said: "His friends did everything they could do. It’s particularly important that they do not feel in any way to blame."
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/s/1454496_tragedy-of-young-dad-killed-by-milk-allergy-after-a-holiday-meal-
 
« Last Edited by JR Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:26 am » 

 Jana
http://www.wafeast.org

Thank you to Conference Sponsors Spokane FASN, Allerbling, Allergy Monkey, Coconut Bliss, Dey the makers of EpiPen, Bastyr Center, Medic Alert, Navan Foods and Microsoft Employee Giving Programs!!

adult son: severe allergies to milk, egg, peanut, tree nuts, coconut, shellfish, mollusks. Eczema, 
 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Reply


Go to full version