FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: ER Visit-then found out meds givin had nut warning!!  (Read 7276 times)

Description:

Offline Shanda A

Re: ER Visit-then found out meds givin had nut warning!!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »
Here is a link to some information about Atrovent and Soy/Peanut Allergies.  This was written in 1998, so more doctors should be aware of this!
http://www.ismp.org/newsletters/acutecare/articles/19981021.asp

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 01:11:12 PM »
Yes, but remember that major formulation changes have occurred since that time.

The question at this point is--

is this STILL a problem?
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »
Reading the ingredients for the current Atrovent inhaler, there is no soy listed and no mention of peanut or soy allergies in the contraindications section.  Since soy was listed in the ingredients before as well as a warning against using if peanut or soy allergic, it would seem that when the inhalers were reformulated they removed the soy component but I can find no specific reference to it's removal - just the labeling changes.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »
To further what rebekah said - I'm on atrovent.  No where in any of my patient information or on the box does it list soy or peanuts as an ingredient, and it has now mention of worries for the peanut or soy allergic.  I'm guessing that the soy lecithin was phased out when they made the switch to HFA propellant.

Combivent inhalers do have a warning for PA and soy allergies - you can find it on the front page of their website: http://www.combivent.com/  For those unfamiliar, a Combivent inhaler is albuterol and ipratorium bromide (atrovent) in one inhaler.  If you are PA or soy allergic and asthmatic, you should keep this in mind.  Generic combivent nebulizer solution is safe (at least the kind that my doc uses), and luckily, if you are in the hospital, you are probably more likely to get that.