FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food Testing reveals problems with HONEY  (Read 2344 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Food Testing reveals problems with HONEY
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »
http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/

Basically, there's no way to really know WHAT it is.  Or where it came from.  Scary.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mookie86

Re: Food Testing reveals problems with HONEY
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 07:54:14 AM »
I skimmed the article, and it sounds like the only problem is overseas honey.  Did I read it right?  My Trader Joe's honey in my pantry says that it's a product of the U.S. Does that mean I can assume it hasn't gone through that problematic filtering process?  I think I'll call TJ's and ask some questions.

As soon as I finish the current bottle, I think I'm switching to agave instead of buying more honey, anyway.  It sounds like it's healthier and it tastes just as good.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 09:24:47 AM »
I didn't read the whole article, but I must say, I am happy that I buy all my honey locally, from a farmer in town.  No question about where it comes from or how it is processed.
USA

Offline eragon

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
i dont buy  honey that is labeled that its blended from different countries, and often stick to certain uk type brands.  do buy that manuka type honey, but i am the only one that like it!

allergic son hates honey, and when younger if touched skin would bring him out in hives, ok if i cook it, which i rarely do and normally its my honey roast chicken, or in my bbq sauce.

i suspected that the honey had pollen in it, hence the hives.

i suppose this explains in part the warning not to give to babies under 1 , due to the poisoing cases for some.....?
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »
I believe the big reason that warn not to give honey to babies is because of the risk of botulism...not positive on that, but think that's it.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »
Yes, botulism is the reason for no honey for infants.  My understanding is there is such a small amount that it is ok for toddlers, but babies' systems can't handle even that small amount.
USA