FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Baby reaction?  (Read 4286 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Baby reaction?
« on: April 05, 2017, 09:25:07 PM »
DIL thinks her daughter may have an allergy or sensitivity. She was eating something, and everywhere it touched her face went all red. She washed it all off, stopped her eating any more, and it completely cleared up. I think she said it took about a half hour to clear up. Otherwise seemed fine...no hives, no itching, no problems from having eaten any.

Does that actually sound like an allergy or sensitivity?

She is guessing eggplant because she was eating baba ghanoush, but I googled and the recipe I found had tahini. Isn't that made with sesame seeds?

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Baby reaction?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:57:25 PM »
Yes, tahini is made from sesame seeds.  I had to look up a recipe to see what else is in it...do you think it could just be the acidicity of the lemons?  I know kids with sensitive skin can have redness on the face when foods high in acid touch their skin.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:43:41 PM »
I would not consider her to have sensitive skin.  But that doesn't mean she couldn't be sensitive to one thing. Is lemon more acidic than oranges? She wolfs down baby oranges with no problems. (One of my other grandkids loved oranges but could not eat them until he was over 2 because even if you changed his diaper as soon as he pooped, his butt was red and sore enough he cried.)

I have no idea what baba ghanoush is. Probably dil made it herself. She assumed it's probably the eggplant, which I think is the main ingredient as well as something baby has not had before.

The red skin, but no issues from eating (no coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, sore belly, etc.) has us both thinking more a sensitivity than an allergy. However, I don't have experience with babies/toddlers with food allergies.

BUT, neither she nor I have any experience with baby's with food allergies.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 05:55:27 AM »
The chart I googled said lemons were more acidic than oranges.  I know it happened with DS and salad dressings as a toddler...his skin would be red from where it touched his face, but if it didn't get on his face, then no redness.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 06:21:24 AM »
Eggplant can be very irritating as well.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 07:48:45 AM »
I would not consider my DD to have sensitive skin, but she would turn red everywhere ranch dressing, tomato sauce, toothpaste, etc. would touch her skin.  It's pretty common and I would suspect that's what's going on here, too.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 07:57:16 AM »

You mean just irritating like harmless redness? Or irritating like allergy?

~~~

I got the impression baby's mom does not "feel" it's allergies. And she has excellent instincts with her child.

I would not consider my DD to have sensitive skin, but she would turn red everywhere ranch dressing, tomato sauce, toothpaste, etc. would touch her skin.  It's pretty common and I would suspect that's what's going on here, too.

Thanks. Did you avoid those things, or just try to not get it on her skin? (Difficult with tomato sauce, kids love feeding themselves pasta.)

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2017, 08:00:32 AM »

You mean just irritating like harmless redness? Or irritating like allergy?

~~~

Could be either.  Eggplant is acidic, and it is also a nightshade, which many people are sensitive too.  I get blisters in my mouth from eggplant.  I do not consider this an allergy, just a very acidic food (and it is often prepared in combo with other acidic foods, like tomato and lemon) that irritates my mouth.  I still cave in and eat it from time to time, because I like it. :hiding:

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 08:26:41 AM »
Thanks everyone. (Still the most helpful group on the Internet. :) )

She plans to not feed her eggplant, and I'm sure will discuss this with her doctor, but it's good to have some BTDT advise and opinions.  I'll also mention to her about some of the other possible culprits.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 08:56:44 AM »
My hands itch when I prepare eggplant, and if I eat eggplant that is undercooked, my mouth itches--but I do not think I am allergic to it. It's more of an OAS thing for me.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »

Thanks. Did you avoid those things, or just try to not get it on her skin? (Difficult with tomato sauce, kids love feeding themselves pasta.)

We didn't avoid and didn't even really try to keep it off her skin.  The redness, although somewhat alarming for a FA family, didn't seem to bother her and it would go away without leaving any irritation or eczema behind, so we just took it in stride.  She mostly outgrew it by late preschool age except the toothpaste which I remember lasting well into elementary.  Oh and cinnamon - that lasted the longest.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 11:53:46 AM »

We didn't avoid and didn't even really try to keep it off her skin.  The redness, although somewhat alarming for a FA family, didn't seem to bother her and it would go away without leaving any irritation or eczema behind, so we just took it in stride.  She mostly outgrew it by late preschool age except the toothpaste which I remember lasting well into elementary.  Oh and cinnamon - that lasted the longest.

Thanks.

I messaged her earlier. She says thanks to everyone too.