FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Specific Food Allergies > Wheat/Gluten Allergy

New to wheat allergy

(1/4) > >>

AdminCM:
New to wheat allergy

admin rebekahc:
Kaye
Posted: 12.02.2008 at 10:03:37

i posted in the peanut section about my dd's allergies. One that is up is her wheat allergy. Last year it was a low positive and this year it's a medium positive (not sure exactly what that means or what the numbers are). The dr wants me to try taking her off wheat for a couple weeks to see if we notice any changes to her eczema or anything else.
Anyway, I am a bit confused. Is wheat and gluten the same thing? If I am taking wheat out of her diet, do I need to also worry about gluten?
She is not positive to other grains like barley, rye, oats, etc. It's just the wheat.
Also, is spelt flour/bread safe for wheat allergic individuals?
I feel a bit overwhelmed with this-- wheat is a big part of our diet right now. I am not sure where to start.
What would I send to school with her for lunch? Right now she takes chicken salad on white bread, pretzels and a fruit cup. What would I replace the bread and pretzels with?
I feel like dinners wouldn't be too difficult. I am more worried about the breakfasts and lunches. She eats cereal and toast for breakfast too. I can't give her eggs yet. Only in baked things right now. So that is out.
Any advice/help/suggestions/support would be appreciated!

I just read your reply, YouKnowWho. Thanks for the help!!
We'll be heading to Good Earth soon to look for some of the foods and for Enjoy Life brand stuff.

admin rebekahc:
GingerPye
Posted: 12.02.2008 at 11:59:04

No, you don't need to take gluten out -- just wheat. My daughter had WA, quite severe early on, and then was challenged/outgrew at 4. I could not believe that she had outgrown it. She still shows positive on tests for wheat; DS does too, for that matter. Both eat wheat with no problems now.

We used barley, oat, and rice flour for DD when she was wheat allergic. I have some recipes -- pm me if you want some.

Also, I don't know your DD's age, but our daughter could not play with Playdough because of the wheat flour in it -- she would have hives all over her hands. I made her playdough with barley flour -- every week of her preschool time until she had outgrown.

DD, 15 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema
DS, 12 - MA/EA/PA/env./asthma
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse

admin rebekahc:
GingerPye
Posted: 12.02.2008 at 12:00:52

Had another thought -- Living Without magazine also has lots of recipes; they are gluten-free but they would give you some help as far as avoiding wheat.

http://www.livingwithout.com

click on "recipes" on the left-hand side.

DD, 15 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema
DS, 12 - MA/EA/PA/env./asthma
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse

admin rebekahc:
mom2twoangels
Posted: 12.02.2008 at 02:49:48

My Daugter was just diag as Celiac. I few things I have found for her are wheat / gluten free pretzels from Ener-G brand they also have a cracker that I don't care for but my daughter will eat. I have found breads that are so so and I have been trying to make my own.

I have also found corn pasta and quinoa pasta that she will eat.

Cereal is hard. Can she have rice? Rice cheks are supposedly gluten free my dd can't have rice so I found one puffed corn cereal she can have but I have to go to the gluten free store to get it...

Many of the rest that are labeled gluten free also process items with peanuts so watch out for that.

Nichele,

DS, 7 Ige to Peanut and Treenuts
DD, 3 Celiac

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version