FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reaction to Bath and Body Works Halloween Hand Soap - green apple  (Read 11795 times)

Description: Rash!

Offline joshsmom

My son was so disappointed. I purchased some Bath and Body Work soap for his bathroom. It was green apple with a glow in the dark ghost. He developed a rash all over his hands and arms. It took 3 days for the rash to go away completely. Dr said it was definitely a reaction. Nothing else affected, just very itchy. Benadryl was making him so sleepy for the first 24 hours. They do not use any nut oils anymore so I thought it would be safe. He was so sad when I had to throw it away! I will not be buying anything for him there again!!! ??? 

His allergies are p/tn/sesame.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:53:45 PM by joshsmom »

Offline maeve

Re: Reaction to Bath and Body Works Halloween Hand Soap - green apple
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:46:08 PM »
I don't have food allergies but I find their hand soaps cause my eczema to flare (someone leaves them in our office restroom and the cleaning staff don't always refill the normal soap dispensers).

It's been a while since I've looked at Bath and Body Works but I thought the did use nut oils.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 09:55:59 AM »
Dd age 16 loves B and B Works.  As I recall, she said that she cannot use their hand soap due to ?.  It might have been shea.  I know she said that some of their products have shea.  She is at school, so I cannot ask her.  I know she does not buy their hand soap, and she does buy some of their other stuff.

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 10:49:57 AM »
Carefulmom, I was just there recently and the employee told me to stay away from the body creams in the tubes as she thought they contain milk. I contacted BBW & am awaiting their reply.

Sorry about your son's reaction.  :-/

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 11:06:30 AM »
Sorry about your son's reaction.  Our allergen sets are different, but I have to avoid BBW as well - their stuff always makes my eczema flare, and just going into the store usually gives me an asthma attack.  I'll have to go in sometime in the next few weeks to pick up holiday presents for my mom - I'll wear my mask.

I know it's just a substitute, but could you paint another soap bottle with glow in the dark puff paint so that he could still have the nifty bottle?

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 02:32:22 PM »
Oddly enough it's the one soap that doesn't irritate my skin but I know others scream with pain (no allergies) when they use it.  I have funky, twitchy skin that cannot use most sensitive soaps - even BBW is problematic if I use it daily.  Add in DH who has issues with scents so he can put up with one or two of them but I cannot use during certain times of the year.

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
I asked dd and she said that some of the hand soaps have shea and some do not. 

Socks. we have not seen any body lotions in a tube there, but the body lotions in a bottle have shea.  We have not seen any with milk.  Everything I have looked at there has ingredients right on it, so it shouldn`t be too difficult to see what allergens are in what products.

Offline maeve

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
Sorry about your son's reaction.  Our allergen sets are different, but I have to avoid BBW as well - their stuff always makes my eczema flare, and just going into the store usually gives me an asthma attack.  I'll have to go in sometime in the next few weeks to pick up holiday presents for my mom - I'll wear my mask.

I know it's just a substitute, but could you paint another soap bottle with glow in the dark puff paint so that he could still have the nifty bottle?

Around Halloween Softsoap has a glow-in-the-dark bottle that is egg and nut free. (I'm not sure about dairy or wheat because those aren't allergens we deal with.)

In addition to shea, in the past I've seen some of their products with sweet almond oil in them.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 03:45:47 PM »
I had a contact reaction from B&BW too. The one had macadamia nut oil in it.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline joshsmom

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 06:57:38 PM »
I read the ingredients and so did my friend - it noted nothing he is allergic too. No shea butter either. Who know what it was. Oh well, we will stay with the soft soap which he doesn't have a problem with. Even their pb&j hand sanitizer doesn't have nut oil which we did not buy. I threw out all the hand sanitzer I bought from there just to be careful.