FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: SURPRISE! Unusual or Unexpected Peanut/Nut Sources  (Read 50584 times)

Description:

Offline Scout

Re: SURPRISE! Unusual or Unexpected Peanut/Nut Sources
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
someone posted on Facebook the Butterball turkeys have pnut oil ....but not on label.....has anyone heard that...I am calling tomorrow

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 11:19:42 AM »
Princella label sweet potatotes -- here is website for their family of brands (Distributed by Allens, Inc):

http://www.sagercreekveggies.com/

CAN labels in stores clearly state "May Contain Traces of Peanuts" below the ingredient list.  However, their website does not seem to reflect this important note!

Just came on to post this.  I've been using them for decades.  >:(
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Scout

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 11:29:29 AM »
I looked at a can yesterday......yep it is there now...in BOLD

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »
I just found sweet almond oil in a hair gel product my stylist used on me (after I ended up with a red sunburn-like reaction on my neck).  Yay.  (We both missed this one on the micro-print ingredient list.)  Someone else posted a photo on Facebook that some Dial foaming hand soaps have sweet almond oil as well.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 11:35:29 AM »
Just a note about "Sweet Almond oil"  -- it can actually be derived from flower and NOT from nut  . . . so might not be an issue for someone with actual almond-the-nut allergy.

Makes it pretty hard to work through, however, as many manufacturers of products won't divulge all of this as it is "trade secret" sometimes.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2014, 07:39:56 PM »
Professional-grade artist paints often use walnut oil as their base.  Beware of art studios and some art galleries - even though we got rid of the paint in our house (after a scary aerosol reaction), I had similar but lesser reactions in an art gallery/studio as well, where they paint in off-hours.  Museum galleries should be just fine, it's the ones where they paint and display in the same building that could be problematic.

My husband has since switched to linseed oil paints.  So much for the old myth that we have to eat (or touch) our allergen to have life-threatening reactions.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 03:31:12 PM »
Oh, another walnut product: reptile sand. 

Beware when cleaning used reptile enclosures... the sand finds it way into every little crevice.  Took me less than 5 seconds to find some in the tank (it was supposed to be cleaned and sanitized), and 30 seconds for the runny nose and environmental-type symptoms to start.  :(

Pass the Benadryl.  :cocktail:

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »
Professional-grade artist paints often use walnut oil as their base.  Beware of art studios and some art galleries - even though we got rid of the paint in our house (after a scary aerosol reaction), I had similar but lesser reactions in an art gallery/studio as well, where they paint in off-hours.  Museum galleries should be just fine, it's the ones where they paint and display in the same building that could be problematic.

Would this be common knowledge among artists?

I'm wondering because ds' school has a visual arts program. The high school is not peanut/nut free as far as I know, but they are allergy aware in most respects.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »

Would this be common knowledge among artists?
Not necessarily.  Many artists buy paint not knowing what type of oil base it has and may mix it with another type of oil to thin it.  (You are supposed to use the same oil as the base.)  A local art studio here has warnings that they use walnut oil in the studio except on Wednesdays because they had a student with nut allergies, although I still couldn't enter the building that day without wheezing and/or feeling ill.  It lingers and sticks to everything.

I doubt schools would use professional grade oil paints (at $30 per little tube), but I'd check the oil base of the paints they are using, because you never know, and it isn't always clear on the label.  My husband switched to another professional-grade paint that uses linseed (flaxseed) oil, so nut-free options do exist.  Other paints use safflower and sunflower oil as their base.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 02:40:40 PM »
Peanut xcontam and shell bits in Burpee seeds (for gardening).

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2015, 11:43:14 AM »
"Read Labels Every Time: Cashews in Kale Chips"
http://community.kidswithfoodallergies.org/blog/read-labels-every-time-cashews-in-kale-chips-1

One of the patients told the doctor, “I didn’t think to read the label on kale chips.”

read every label, every time

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2016, 08:12:51 AM »
Austin crackers and Keebler  (Kellogg item)  adding PEANUT FLOUR as ingredient in many items:

Warning!  Peanut Flour Added to Sandwich Crackers

« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 08:42:55 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2016, 03:34:44 PM »
Simple Truth brand chicken broth.
(This is exclusive to Kroger maybe?  Or Maybe not!)

May contain statement includes ALMONDS.

Packaging is one of those soft-side cartons, much like what shelf-stable almond milks and other items come in.  Wonder if that is source of Xcontam?

Anyway, wanted to post this here today.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:22:50 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2016, 08:16:26 PM »
Now that is just bizarre.  :insane:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

EW

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2016, 08:09:58 PM »
Great list. Please keep in mind though, peanuts are NOT nuts, they are in the legume family. I'm highly allergic to peanuts and sensitive to all legumes. But I have zero allergies to true nuts (almonds, walnuts, etc). I want to add that, as I have not seen anyone clarify it yet. :-)