FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Keebler  (Read 4174 times)

Description: owned by Kellogg's

Offline SilverLining

Keebler
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »
I probably new Kellogg's owned Keebler, but forgot. 

Anyway, I found these Waffle Bowls in a store and the labelling looked safe, but I sent an e-mail to Keebler.

i received a lengthy response that they label for the top eight, including a may contain warning for peanuts/nuts.  Sesame is not one of the top eight in the US but is in other countries (including Canada) and they label for it as well, including may contain.  (I'm not sure if they label for it in the US.  Our labels are different because they are french and english, so if you are in the US and dealing with sesame check that information for your country.)

I have trusted Kellogg's labeling for years, so I'm glad to add this to my safe list.

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Keebler
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:09:32 AM »
On the fence here because I am still waiting to hear about their Coconut Dreams which list a variety of bolded allergens at the bottom but not Tree Nuts.  Coconut is listed within the ingredient list though.

Saying and doing, right?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
I  personally do not want coconut to be classified a a tree nut in any "may contains" statement.  If manufacturers begin listing "may contain tree nuts" when the only "tree nut" possibly present is coconut, that's going to eliminate a lot of products for those of us who are only allergic to REAL treenuts.  Classifying coconut as  a tree nut is just stupid.    Just my opinion, though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 02:08:34 PM by jennifer41 »
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
My coconut allergic friends (and apparently this one is on an upswing with sesame) would disagree because it made their life harder pre-change.

The problem is that the change is in effect - the FDA considers coconut a tree nut.  So while their bolded labeling at the bottom is voluntary, it is misleading for those who are under the assumption that tree nuts are not part of the contains statement.  And while yes, they are called Coconut Dreams so that does eliminate them right there it's still indecisive labeling imo.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:05:23 PM »
I don't disagree that coconut and sesame allergies (and a few others) are common enough to deserve inclusion into labeling laws.  I just disagree with the science behind determining that coconut is a tree nut.
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 04:11:28 PM »
Jennifer, I don't think science was involved in that decision.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »
Agreed.  It makes about as much sense as including "nutmeg" as a treenut.   ~)

I think that coconut SHOULD be on labels.  But sesame being left off of labels is probably a FAR larger concern at this point in time (with all due respect to our coconut allergic members).

I'm not sure that FALCPA says that a "contains" statement is mandatory, YKW.  It may be enough to note "coconut" on the package ingredients listing.  I think that the intent of FALCPA is simply to make sure that ingredients which are not obviously coconut-derived are explicitly stated as containing coconut protein. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »
My coconut allergic friends (and apparently this one is on an upswing with sesame) would disagree because it made their life harder pre-change.

Thank you!  Compassion for all allergens goes a long way.  My DD and I agree with your statement!  And often hear such negative comments from people who do not understand that many of the nuts such as almonds, cashews and pistachios that are considered "tree nuts" are also technically drupes like coconuts are.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:56:55 PM »

I think that coconut SHOULD be on labels.  But sesame being left off of labels is probably a FAR larger concern at this point in time (with all due respect to our coconut allergic members).

Yes, as well as anything else that lurks in "spices" and "natural flavorings"

Offline Jessica

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 01:43:54 AM »

Thank you!  Compassion for all allergens goes a long way.  My DD and I agree with your statement!  And often hear such negative comments from people who do not understand that many of the nuts such as almonds, cashews and pistachios that are considered "tree nuts" are also technically drupes like coconuts are.
I don't think Jennifer41 was trying to display a lack of compassion. She said, and I agree with her, that if they are going to warn for coconut, they need to call it coconut and not a blanket "may contain tree nuts" statement.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 01:18:33 PM »
Jessica, that is exactly was I was trying to say.  I did not mean to sound like I didn't have compassion for those with coconut allergies.  I have nothing but compassion for anyone who has to deal with any food allergy---especially those with non-top 8 allergies.  I am sorry if my poorly written post offended anyone or caused anyone to infer otherwise.
USA