login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Ghiradelli mini-semi sweet chips  (Read 6417 times)

Description: no shared pn/tn equipment! may contain milk

Offline nameless

Ghiradelli mini-semi sweet chips
« on: November 21, 2011, 05:22:42 PM »
hi all! So last week in Target I saw Ghirardelli mini-semisweet chips. NO PN/TN WARNING!

Historically, Ghirardelli labels for shared equipment, may contains/traces, and same facility. The only warnings were a contains soy and may contain milk.

I was intrigued.

This product is new and doesn't show up on their allergen page yet so I called.

and...

w00t!

They are made in a peanut free facility and are not on shared equipment with treenuts. I had a nice discussion with the person who called me back. They have "done away with" their peanut products so there will soon be a reflection in their labeling and suite of products. They do still have treenuts.  Their new labeling policy (currently going through their lawyers) will NOT label for same facility anymore b/c they distinguish 'same equipment or same room'.  Items in the same room or on the same equipment as an allergen will bear the warnings.

With my comfort zone and their labeling policy, that is within my comfort zone 100%. I explained to her that some companies will say 'same facility' when it is actually the same equipment, or do not label that at all. I told her we all appreciate the distinctions, depending on comfort zones, and that this new info should be explained on their webpage allergen info. Moreso - I told her I was ecstatic beyond belief b/c I haven't been able to have mini-chips in such a long time :)

So in general, for Ghirardelli labeling - they will label 'same equipment/same room' but will not label 'same facility' as they distinguish the two.

YAY! I found them at Target, bought about 6 bags.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Ghiradelli mini-semi sweet chips
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:30:14 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline jasper740

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:58:04 PM »
 ;D Nice!

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 07:05:16 PM »
Awesome.  Heshey had been ok for a bit, and now is not, so we lost them, and have missed them too!  Thanks for sharing!

becca
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline jessma03

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:00:25 AM »
Why is Hersheys not ok anymore???
DS--Allergic to Peanuts,Eggs,Seafood,Garlic andmany outdoor allergies!!!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 03:17:29 PM »
I wonder if the Hershey's problem is a regional thing, because they're still fine here - unless I'm looking at "old" stock on the supermarket shelves.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 05:06:35 PM »
It may be regional. The only SAFE Hershey's chips I've found are the chocolate mint ones.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline nameless

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 07:32:24 PM »
Why is Hersheys not ok anymore???

some background for you:

Hershey's is an awesome labeler --- they label for shared equipment with allergens as well as same facility. If the label says only "same facility as *allergen*"  then it is NOT same equipment. They are very good with their advisory labels.

That being said, as they change manufacturing practices their labels change. Not a lot, but they do. So read the label every time. There are also different Hershey facilities scattered about, so there can be regional differences in the labeling. Read the label, each time, everytime.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:05:22 PM »
Adrienne, you are the best!  Thanks for finding and sharing!

Offline maeve

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:40:47 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Ghiradelli chips.  I've had a hard time finding the Hershey's chips locally and now I potentially have another option.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 08:19:50 PM »
Thank you so much for this thread! Found them @ Wegmans tonight- would never have even bothered to check on them if not for this thread!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)