FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Impact of a food allergy on the quality of life - Survey  (Read 3533 times)

Description:

Allergic Student

Impact of a food allergy on the quality of life - Survey
« on: November 03, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
Hi,

I am a student in my final year at high school and have allergies myself. I am doing my personal project this year, and I am doing it on the topic: the influence a food allergy has on the quality of life.

If you have allergies I would really appreciate any help by filling in this survey.

Your answers to this questionnaire will  help me in finishing my project and research. I will use your answers only for my project, and this shall only be seen by me and my assessor.

Link to survey:
https://www.kwiksurveys.com/?s=OHOOGM_28ab6ceb

Thank you very much!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Impact of a food allergy on the quality of life - Survey
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:34:45 PM »
I checked out the survey, but don't have time to answer it right now.  However, I would suggest you proofread the survey again.  The first question is unanswerable and several questions, just on the first page, had spelling mistakes/typos.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Allergic Student

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:04:05 PM »
Thank you, I realized about my mistake on the first page and I have fixed it. I will check my spelling mistakes as well.

Offline Momcat

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:22:46 PM »
Nice job on this survey!  You have covered some very important aspects of the social/emotional impact of food allergies.  Will you let us know what the results are when your project is finished?
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Offline Allergic Student

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:05:16 AM »
Thank you very much! I'm glad to hear I've covered some important aspects of the impact of food allergies! I find it very interesting to learn more about how other people see their allergies. I have allergies myself so I know how I experience it, but it's really interesting to see how others face certain aspects of having an allergy.
Anyway, thank you very much for the complement!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »
That is a really interesting survey-- my answers were, I know, VERY different from my daughter's.  (She is an adolescent, and her food allergies are to different foods than mine are.)

I can't quite decide, though, if that is because she is an adolescent (so more self-conscious among peers) or if it has to do with greater difficulty in avoidance given the specific food allergens.

Way to go!   :thumbsup:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
I thought the questions were interesting as well.

CM, I might guess that it's because she's an adolescent...my allergy set makes most things pretty difficult, but most of the time at family events and such, it doesn't bother me that much.  Why?  Because I just don't care anymore.  It bothers everyone else way more when I don't eat than it bothers me.  Sometimes it annoys me that in some circles EVERY event is food centered, or that people insist on having something with apples - because if you're preparing something with apples, I'm not eating anything and am going to be wary of anyone touching me...but other than that, I just do not care.  I'm mostly adult-onset, but I don't think that I would have felt that way as an adolescent had I had food allergies then to the extent that I do now.

Offline Allergic Student

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 01:18:56 PM »
Thank you CMdeus and Janelle205!

CMdeux, I am an adolescent myself and I have severe peanut and nut allergies. Obviously I don't know whether it's because of the adolescent part as I haven't got any experience with it from an adult point of view, but personally I think it's difficult at this time because I'm really finding out how to deal with it. When you're younger your parents arrange a lot of things for you, but now you have to gradually do things yourself and personally I find it challenging to figure out how to deal with it socially etc.

I could imagine that as an adult you would have already figured this out (obviously depending on what age you got your allergies at) and it might be easier because of that... but that's just my guess :P

Anyway once again thank you for filling it in!!!

Offline Momcat

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 10:41:04 PM »
Allergic Student,

I shared the link to your survey and the description of your project on my Facebook food allergy group.  I hope you are getting some good data!
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Offline Allergic Student

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
Thank you so much Momcat! I really appreciate it!

So far I'm getting some very good results, so I'm very pleased with that :)