FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 5859 times)

Description: So, What's Everyone Cooking?

hk

Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 10:36:47 PM »
It's just 3 of us, but I've still done a lot of cooking.  Everything down to the bread in the dressing is homemade.

-Salad of baby lettuce, baby kale, goat cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds
-Mashed potatoes
-Dressing
-Cornbread made in the cast iron skillet
-Chicken pot pie with biscuit topping for the 2 non-vegetarians
-Lentil pot pie with gouda biscuit topping for the vegetarian)
-Roasted brussels sprouts
-Apple pie with shortbread crust
-Homemade vanilla bean ice cream

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Offline CookingMom

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2011, 06:44:08 AM »
I am so upbeat about last night's dinner!  I nailed it!  DS said he liked eating late because after a good meal, he only wanted to go to bed (not good, I know but...we've all been there!).  He said it was the best meal and perfect for us.  DH (who never gives compliments) said when he falls asleep after eating, it has been a good meal.  Funny...it wasn't a heavy meal at all and no one over induldged.

We did not eat outside.  It never got above 55° and by the time I had everything ready, it was dark and chilling down.

The menu:

Caribbean Jerk Chicken, cooked in the outdoor roaster (Caribbean Jerk seasoning rubbed inside and outside of the chicken and cooked over a can of light beer)...it was so crispy-skinned and so moist meat
Garlic Mashed Potatoes, done in a slow cooker...oh my, these turned out perfect...DS said they were the best mashed potatoes I've ever made and DH took a huge helping, agreeing with DS
Brussels Sprouts & Carrots in a sweet orange glaze, done in a slow cooker...perfect compliment to the meat
Harvard Beets...great color on the plate
Salad...romaine, sweet onions, brined black olives, garlic stuffed green olives, shredded carrots, tomatoes with assorted dressings
Rolls, homemade
Apple Pie, homemade
Champagne (Sparkling Apple-Mango Cider for DS)

Most of the clean up was easy, especially since DH cleaned the roaster for me.   ;D  However, the apple pie spilled out juices into the oven...which is not self-cleaning  :(  but DH said he would help me on Sunday (his day off) with it.

Hope everyone had a wonderful day yesterday...and a wonderful meal, too!
DS - PA, TNA, chick peas (outgrew sesame seeds)
U.S.A.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »
Everyone's menus sound so delicious that I want to do it again, LOL!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2011, 01:06:23 PM »
We went to a potluck; brought -

Winter vegetable shepherd's pie
pumpkin-thyme dinner rolls
apple hand pies
The 3 is silent.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
Ooooh, the winter veg shepherd's pie sounds amazing!

Thank you everyone for all these ideas.  :thumbsup:
N.E. US

Offline my3guys

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
Every Thanksgiving I think of this board because a thread was started over you know where about Thanksgiving meals, and prepping and cooking turkeys, pie recipes, etc.  You guys got me through the first Thanksgiving I hosted about 7 years ago, quite successfully I might add <sniff, sniff> (wipes tear away) ;)  This board taught me how to cook! ;D

I didn't host this year, and I have to say "our" turkey (prepped with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onions) is better!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
Awwww My3guys, that's so nice!
N.E. US