login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Guittard baking chips  (Read 11127 times)

Description: found in a local store-MA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Guittard baking chips
« on: November 27, 2011, 06:29:37 PM »
So, was looking for a place to purchase online and see at this site they are 20% off.   Contemplating a 12 package order due to the better shipping rate relative to volume purchased.  But I do not think I would use so much fast enough.   Anyway, just sharing for those who try to scout out Guittard.  I have never used this website for orders and am not endorsing.  Just helping others find th eelusive Guittard butterscotch chips!  SOme are repackaged bulk, but scroll down to find packages as well.

http://worldwidechocolate.com/shop_guittard.html

becca
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:15:57 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Ra3chel

Re: Guittard baking chips
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:23:01 PM »
Let me know if you need another visit from the Guittard fairy!
The 3 is silent.

Offline maeve

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »
Thanks.  I placed an order.  The white chocolate syrup looked tempting.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 11:20:58 PM »
w00t!  Guittard at Safeway 2/$6!!! regular size bags of chips. I bought the super dark, mint green, and these new white peppermint flavored chips "smooth & melty" that had red/green nonpareils on them.

The white ones, are really really pepperminty. Candy cane pepperminty.  The green mint ones are more like the traditional Andes softer mint flavor.

I'm gonna have fun!

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:39:37 PM »
Becca,
Thanks for sharing the link.  My order arrived today.  Yum.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:56 PM »
Ohhhhh-- I'll have to look for those, nameless.  I love the green ones, but I am a serious peppermint fan and those just sound really cool.

The Cafe Au Lait are the ones that I would probably chew off a limb to get again...  I've only seen those once, a couple of years ago now.

The white ones, dark, semi-sweet, milk, and butterscotch are all available year-round at WinCo stores in the pacific Northwest. 

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »
Oh, my. I really need to find those peppermint chips. And cafe au lait? I've never seen those at all, but they sound transcendent.
The 3 is silent.

Offline nameless

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 03:44:21 PM »
I don't see them online - and there were only 2 bags at the Safeway I go to. If you like, later when I'm out, I'll pass by the Safeway and can see if they have any more of the peppermint "smooth and melty" ones w/ the red/green non-pariels? I'm happy to ship to you :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 10:05:55 PM »
No need, no need!

Found the awesome pepperminty ones there tonight!   :thumbsup:  I'm guessing that means that they must be chain-wide.  Word to the wise-- they're in uncharacteristically CLEAR packaging.  (No opaque foil like all the other varieties that Guittard makes.)

Western U.S.

Offline nameless

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 10:18:04 PM »
No need, no need!

Found the awesome pepperminty ones there tonight!   :thumbsup:  I'm guessing that means that they must be chain-wide.  Word to the wise-- they're in uncharacteristically CLEAR packaging.  (No opaque foil like all the other varieties that Guittard makes.)

Yes, I forgot to mention the packaging. It's a line called "Smooth & Melty" for the non-pariel looking things...and people use them as candy favors (from what I'm reading). These Xmas ones are different though, smaller, chips.

I don't know how I'll bake with them yet. I have a chocolate fudgy cookie recipe and these might do well in them. Or...topping hot brownies out of the oven...so they kinda melt onto the brownies but not completely melt.

Do you like them?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 10:33:14 PM »
Haven't tried them yet.   ;D  I only bought them about an hour ago.  LOL!

I love peppermint, though, so the odds are good.

They have the little nonpariels on the bottom of each chip (standard size chips, not mini or jumbo, not disks)-- they're very pretty just as they are, honestly...  which makes it something of a shame to bake them into cookies. 

Western U.S.

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 05:26:50 PM »
Oh, I have had "smooth and melty" in a pastel version years ago from my old guittard order compnay.  They disappeared(the compnay).  But I have rarely found a holiday version in a local pharmacy type of store.  Hit or miss specialty here.  They are a very nice, buttery sort of minty non-pareil. 

Thanks Ra3!  This was easy enough and there was a coupon, so not rediculously expensive.  My problem before was I could not find any mail order with them in packages, only re-packed from bulk.  So this is a good find, and a few hours from home, so quick service. 

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 07:32:54 AM »
The website shared here is having a coupon this weekend for 15% off any order, 20% off orders over $100.

Code is WEEKEND15

becca

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
We finally have them in a local store, so this year I'm using them in my fudge.  Yum!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Alert to Massachusetts members if you have a Sudbury Farms or Roche Bros grocery store.  I found these at one of their locations today!  I have never seen them locally.  I have Emailed to thank them and request they consider having them year round.  They had them with a holiday display of baking products. 

I wish I had been there before ordering a bunch of the butterscotch.  I would have saved a significant amount of money.  I still grabbed a mint and white bag, since I used those last night and was out.   

They also had the smooth and melty minty candy non-pareil type drops!