login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "sticky" keys?  (Read 4002 times)

Description: Anyone else have issues when they post iPhone

Offline MandCmama

"sticky" keys?
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »
I mainly post from my phone. I've noticed that on this site there is a drastic lag when I type... Sometimes I finish a word before the 1st letter appears. Does anyone have this issue or know why I am? I don't have this problem on other sites.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Firebird

• Committee Member
Re: "sticky" keys?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:57:08 PM »
What phone are you using? Will that info be of help to those who also use phones to post here?  (I don't but will be soon . . . )
Username registered for the purpose of Committee Member role 2008 - 2009, and 2011 - 2012.

AKA ajasfolks2

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »
This is just a guess-- but I'd guess that the Simple Machines code (in reply boxes) is having to run through some rectifying module on your phone in order to be fully compatible with your phone.

Lots of mobile devices have that problem on some websites but not others-- and it doesn't surprise me that it might be so with SimpleMachines, since it isn't a native platform for ANY mobile device, so far as I'm aware.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:17:38 AM »
That makes sense.... Thanks CM. Firebird- its an iPhone 4.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:20:42 AM »
I have noticed more lag time with my iPhone in general lately (both typing online and in texts and general use) - seems to have gotten worse since I updated to IOS5 - but I haven't noticed it specifically worse here.  Simple Machines could also be the explanation as CM suggested.  I believe I can download Tapatalk capabilities to our forum, but I wasn't sure if people really used that app.  I've not used it and haven't felt the need to buy it, but if many of our users do have it and feel it would make their phone browsing experience better, I can see what I can do about installing it on our site.

One other suggestion - have you tried using WAP2?  Is it still laggy?  I don't use it because I prefer the full site layout, but it might be a temporary solution for you.  At the bottom of the page, in the "credits" section you can click the WAP2 to try it.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
Okay, test posting using WAP2 and yes, typing seems much faster.  I wonder if it's an interaction between the code of our forum and IOS5?  The problem didn't start for me until I upgraded to it.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.