What allergens do you avoid?

Started by SilverLining, December 02, 2011, 06:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What allergens do you avoid?  Do you avoid the added ingredient only or trace amoints?

Peanuts
16 (35.6%)
Trace amounts of peanuts
27 (60%)
Nuts (if only some nuts, which ones)
16 (35.6%)
Trace amounts of nuts (if only some nuts, which ones)
27 (60%)
Milk/dairy
7 (15.6%)
Trace amounts of milk/dairy
3 (6.7%)
Wheat/gluten
3 (6.7%)
Trace amounts of wheat/gluten
3 (6.7%)
Soy
5 (11.1%)
Trace amounts of soy
1 (2.2%)
Egg
10 (22.2%)
Trace amounts of egg
10 (22.2%)
Sesame Seeds
2 (4.4%)
Trace amounts of sesame seeds
5 (11.1%)
Other seeds (if only some seeds, which ones)
3 (6.7%)
Trace amoints of other seeds (if only some seeds, which ones)
0 (0%)
Fish
5 (11.1%)
Trace amounts of fish
1 (2.2%)
Shell fish
5 (11.1%)
Trace amounts of shell fish
5 (11.1%)
Other (please explain what)
12 (26.7%)
Trace amounts of other (please explain what)
10 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

SilverLining

My apologies if I missed anything.

~~~~

You can vote for up to half the choices.  If you avoid trace amounts, select trace amounts of <whatever> but not the line above.

And, I am asking about whoever in your family has the allergies, not necessarily the entire family.  eg. I avoid trace amounts of my allergens, but my family eats them, so I selected <trace amounts of>.

YouKnowWho

Under soy you have trace amounts of wheat/soy listed - is that supposed to just be soy?

DS1 avoids wheat/rye/barley/most oats and egg.
DS2 avoids most dried beans, overt soy (lecithin, oils, etc are tolerable - I'm not big on soy in the house anyway minus DS1's obsession with Pumpkin Silk at the holiday season), Mahatma Yellow Rice (he has had ana rxns to it twice but not sure to what), peanuts and tree nuts (we need to challenge the tree nuts because we have had non-issues with mommy goof ups).
Me - bananas, eggplants, sulpha drugs, aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

SilverLining

Quote from: YouKnowWho on December 02, 2011, 07:29:15 AM
Under soy you have trace amounts of wheat/soy listed - is that supposed to just be soy?

Yes.  Sorry about that.  I've corrected it now.  Thanks for mentioning it.

hezzier

With DS, we avoid all tree nuts, sesame and egg.

He had an anaphylactic reaction to pecan and possibly one other nut (it was in a bakery cookie so we don't know what it was now).
Sesame is tricky because the jury is out, has only tested positive, but I am careful with brands of bread and crackers.
I have stopped baking with egg because DS complained of a scratchy throat on occasion after eating cake/cookies with egg.

GingerPye

oh, I goofed up.  I did the survey before reading the post.  I picked peanut AND trace amounts; did that as well for tree nuts and egg. 

Sorry.  Is there a way I can fix?

ETA:  Oh, I see it now.  I was able to remove my vote and redo it.  All fixed now!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

AllergyMum

I need more information for clarification.  What do you mean by trace amounts?  Does Trace mean - avoid "may contain" or do you mean you do eat trace amounts?

We avoid all forms of dairy and all "may contain" for dairy.  Would I pick Dairy or Trace Dairy?

DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

rebekahc

I'd like to see an option for partial avoidance - like we are able to do baked milk and egg (usually) and I have to avoid excessive soy but I'm able to tolerate it as an ingredient - just no soy nuts/soy butter/soy milk, etc.

We also have to avoid avocado and banana due to both allergies and OAS between the different members of our family.  I have to avoid raw tomato (processed or cooked is okay).

I chose traces on tree nuts, but if the specific nut is listed, sometimes I don't avoid traces (like almond).
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

krasota

I only have to avoid pistachio and hazelnut on the treenuts, but I avoid cashews (mostly for DS and the pistachio issue) and have to be rather careful with the other nuts because of peanut/soy/those treenuts above. 

I have a bunch of other allergens.  Too many to list.  My immune system went nuts years ago.  Papaya, carrot, tomato, lavender, aloe, chamomile. Hempseed.  Cheeses inoculated with penicillium molds. Tomato's not severe, the others are.  Carrot juice sneaks in places.  I react to pork, despite negative skin and RAST.  But it's a definite reaction (hives, lip/palate swelling), so there's something going on.  Some food additives make me break out in hives, some do worse.  And sodium benzoate make my fibro flare worse than usual, so I avoid it to some extent.

And while I try to avoid traces of soy, that's next to impossible.  Only thing harder to avoid is corn.  Thank goodness I don't have to do that.  Gluten is becoming easier and easier to avoid traces.  Irritated by the prevalence of GF oats now, though, as I do react to avenin.

DS avoids egg, cashew, pistachio, mango.  DH avoids mushrooms and shellfish (crustaceans and bivalves).

Oh, and I avoid flaxseed because it tastes like moldy socks.  Not allergic to it at all, just strongly averse.  I figure that I can afford to be picky about it.  ;)
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

CMdeux

Similarly, I had to choose what I felt best represented what the various members of our family do...

so-- we avoid all treenuts but hazelnuts, but the only known allergies to them are almond (dd) cashew (dd) pistachio(dd) and walnut (DH).

We avoid fish-- mostly.  But that is because of my SFA, which necessitates "trace" avoidance.

In "other" we have OAS triggers, citrus (for me), mango (see pistachio and cashew above), and a few random things.

We also somewhat avoid milk (baked or cooked, mostly-- moving target, that one).  Egg avoidance at this point is probably somewhat between what I'd call "trace" and "gross" avoidance, though I suspect that most people would probably think that we're very definitely still on the "trace" side of things there.  We do intentionally dose DD with baked egg daily.  But the amount is still below what a lot of "egg allergic" people have as a trigger, and she still reacts quite robustly to traces that are less well-cooked.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

SilverLining

Quote from: AllergyMum on December 02, 2011, 09:06:03 AM
I need more information for clarification.  What do you mean by trace amounts?  Does Trace mean - avoid "may contain" or do you mean you do eat trace amounts?

We avoid all forms of dairy and all "may contain" for dairy.  Would I pick Dairy or Trace Dairy?

trace amounts means avoid may contain.

AllergyMum

We avoid all forms including raw & baked and all "may contain" for

Dairy
Egg
Peanut
All tree nuts

We only avoid the drugs that my son is allergic to and of course all drugs that include any of his food allergies.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Janelle205

Like quite a few MFA folks, I have varying levels of avoidance for my list of allergens.

I completely avoid apple, cherry, peaches, pears, nectarine, canteloupe, watermelon, and parsnips.

I avoid soy protein.  I can tolerate lecithin and soy oil, thankfully, though too much soy oil will lead to an unpleasant GI reaction.

I avoid raw or not thoroughly cooked egg.  I have some tolerance for small amounts of baked egg, and since I've never had a severe egg reaction (hives and eczema flares only), my allergist is comfortable with me eating small amounts as long as I'm otherwise healthy - not in the middle of a big asthma flare.

I avoid things with large amounts of barley, but can tolerate small amounts of processed barley - similar to eggs.

Tomato is the same, I can tolerate small amounts, but not fresh tomatoes or a large amount of tomato sauce.

I only avoid bananas during the pollen seasons - I seem to be able to tolerate them in the winter.

Doctor's recommendation was to avoid all raw produce, since my OAS reactions are severe and I have a history of OAS turning into 'real' allergies.  I mostly follow this, but do allow myself fresh, uncooked pineapple, berries, and occasionally citrus.

Drug-wise, I avoid Toradol and mepivicaine (though I tolerate other 'caine' drugs, luckily) for allergy reasons, and zithromax and doxycycline, which are intolerances, but on the REALLY unpleasant end of intolerance.

While I tolerate small amounts of some of my allergens, I have to be careful not to combine too many of those allergens at one time.  If I had a barley cake with eggs baked into it topped with tomato sauce (yuck - but just an example), I would probably end up pretty uncomfortable.

In regards to the family, no one else has allergies.  Fiancee avoids all apple for me, because I react otherwise.  Our house is mostly apple free, though I do allow the step-daughter to have a non-messy apple containing treat once in a while...like a pop-tart or something.  We don't do juice or applesauce though, and anything apple containing has to be eaten at the kitchen table, so it can be contained and promptly cleaned.

GoingNuts

We avoid chick peas ( DS), and lentils (me) in addition to those mentioned above.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

maeve

Oops.  I selected peanut, tree nuts, and egg as well as the trace amounts line for all but egg (we don't worry about shared lines now since DD's baked egg challenge).

We avoid all tree nuts.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

buttons

We avoid lentils, chickpeas, and trace amounts of peanuts and tree nuts, except almonds.

There are also some OAS foods, not sure if they should be included.  (All DS's allergies.)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview