American Heart Assoc. First Aid Training

Started by Janelle205, December 24, 2011, 06:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janelle205

After seeing the epi-pen warning, I wanted to comment about this as well.

A few weeks ago, I had to take a first aid class for work.  I took the American Heart Association class.  If you have kids in daycare in the US, it is pretty likely that this is their training as well.

Their anaphylaxis segment still shows the old style epi-pens.  The video points out that you will know if it worked because you will be able to see the needle.  Video also states that epinephrine takes 5-20 minutes to take effect - so while you need to call 911, don't worry too much if the person is still reacting after 10-15 minutes.

Umm...pretty sure that's not my doctor's position at all - and probably not the position of many of your doctors either.

So while I know that most, if not all of the Mom's here make sure to run over epi usage with their childcare providers, if you happen to be just relying on their training, you may want to ask what kind of training they got and perhaps correct what I see as misinformation.

The paramedic who was teaching the class did point out that whenever he has given epinephrine, it has not taken five minutes to work.  He also let me show the new-style epi-pens to the class and answer questions.

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview