FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Drug Allergies - Why do they ask what type of reaction  (Read 5796 times)

Description:

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
Re: Drug Allergies - Why do they ask what type of reaction
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
Physicians don't want people to unnecessarily whittle down the list of available (or more benign meds) because, um...the list of what people can use at home, and with regularity isn't near as big as the conspiracists believe. Pharmacy often calls me if the "type of reaction" in the allergy annotation of the computer charting isn't filled out in entirety. There are "cousin" drugs that are quite effective and often used even if a related drug is listed as an "allergy", especially to the -cillins, depending on the type of "allergic" reaction listed. A lot of the other antibiotics require ID approval (in part due to antibiotic resistance) frequent monitoring and diagnositc testing, and are $$$. We save them as a last resort.

I often have to resist rolling my eyes when people tell me what their "allergic" response to a med actually is. You're going to get questions, that isn't going to change. <shrug> And with good reason.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »
I had a lady tell me the other day she couldn't take the new generic Lipitor because she was allergic.  I told her it just came out two days ago, so she couldn't possibly know that.  She informed me that she is allergic to all generic drugs.  Whatever!  ~)
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »
I understand questions being asked and I understand how some unpleasant side effects could be considered to be allergic related by some individuals.

But my main beef with the questions being asked regarding pain medication is disbelief that I am truly allergic to all of those drugs.  I am not asking for Oxycontin here folks, Tylenol 3's at best when Tylenol itself doesn't cut it.  I am kinda peeved that I didn't take pictures during my reaction to Ibuprofen - "Staypufft Marshmallow Man" would be the best description. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »
Funny you mention taking photos of your reactions ykw.  I've been seriously thinking about asking my fiancee to video some of my really bad asthma attacks to have in case I need them for my disability case.  But I think that he would probably have a really hard time whipping the camera out when I'm not breathing. 

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »
YKW, I have an almost opposite problem.  I react very badly to any narcotic pain reliever.  I'm not allergic, it's just I get a severe case of side effects (horrible stomach upset for about 12 hours, extreme fatigue--basically it feels like I have the stomach flu).  Plus, they never help with the pain.  I've been told, "oh, your pain would havegotten worse if you didn't have it," but it has happened so many times, without any relief, that I know it just does work for me. But doctors keep insisting on giving it.  So obviously they are not worried about me seeking something stronger.

When I had a minor surgery a few years back, I told the doctor about it, and she said she did not feel comfortable saying no narcotics, so she said she would write the order in such a way that I would have to ask for it.  Well, the stupid nurse in the recovery room gave me 2 doses of morphine, IV, without ebven telling me what she was doing.  OMG I was soooo sick.  And the kicker is I had no real pain before she gave it--it hurt just enough that I would maybe consider taking a motrin (which I tolerate without any problem and is my go-to pain med). 
USA