FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: MILK chocolate chips  (Read 7255 times)

Description:

Offline MandCmama

MILK chocolate chips
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »
Anyone have luck finding milk chocolate chips? I use Wegman's brand semi sweet, but haven't found safe milk chocolate chips locally.  I got excited to see Guitard (is that how its spelled?) Christmas candy at my local Wegman's, but no chips so far despite my asking every week  :misspeak: I may resort to just coarsely chopping a Hershey bar! (I know lots of you dislike the way Hershey tastes, but I was raised on it and have no clue what the "sour" taste some of you refer to is!)
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline nameless

Re: MILK chocolate chips
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »
weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllll - a chopped up Hershey bar has different stabilizers than chips or baking bars do...so...it'll be a melty mess if you are baking with it.

I've only ever used Guittard milk chocolate chips. Do you have time to order online?

Do you have a Cost Plus World Market near you? If so, call first and see if they've gotten them in yet.  Try Target? I've been seeing Guittard (bagged chips) everywhere this year, like they are branching out.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »
If I were to order online, is there somewhere best to go? I'll check Target again, but I've had no luck in the past! Thanks for the warning about the stabilizers... I actually just tasted a cookie/toffee creation that is heavenly.  After it comes out of the oven, you dump chips on it and spread when melted.  It then goes in the fridge....setting may be an issue then?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »
Just found the Guittard thread and ordered- Thanks Becca!  Is a case of milk chocolate, 2 bags of white and 2 bags of butterscotch a little overboard? :hiding: I'm so excited- I can make Rachel Ray's 5 minute fudge again!!! :happydance:
Pennsylvania, USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
I think you will find the quality to be superior to many baking chocloate too. 

I love the butterscotch!  I can get white and semi sweet chips that are safe, but no butterscotch, so I just got 6 bags!
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 03:28:35 AM »
Are the Hershey Milk Chocolate chips unsafe in your area? That's all we use here. If I could find Guittard within an hour's drive I'd buy them. I don't want to order them-the last time I ordered chocolate chips I over-ordered because I wanted it to be worth the shipping cost and they all turned gross before we got them all used.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »
I'm so excited- I can make Rachel Ray's 5 minute fudge again!!! :happydance:

So I just looked up this recipe...obviously you aren't putting nuts in it, but do you mix in anything or just keep it plain?
Fudge isn't something I usually make.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
I used to make as is, but lately I just do it plain for us. If I make it as a gift I do the candied cherries. I had never made fudge before, but I saw her make it on Oprah and knew even I could handle it! It's very good, but cut it small- its VERY rich and sweet!
Pennsylvania, USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
What brand of cherries do you use?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 11:37:04 AM »
I don't know of any candied cherries that are safe ( that's why I only put them on gifts). I'm going to check Wegmans though, because their maraschino cherries are safe. ... Maybe they'll have candied too!
Pennsylvania, USA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »
If I were to order online, is there somewhere best to go? I'll check Target again, but I've had no luck in the past! Thanks for the warning about the stabilizers... I actually just tasted a cookie/toffee creation that is heavenly.  After it comes out of the oven, you dump chips on it and spread when melted.  It then goes in the fridge....setting may be an issue then?

I order them from Vermont Nut Free - they have milk, semi-sweet, butterscotch, and white.

Offline candyguru

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »
(I know lots of you dislike the way Hershey tastes, but I was raised on it and have no clue what the "sour" taste some of you refer to is!)

Hersheys chocolate is manufactured using a different manufacturing process than European and Canadian chocolate, giving it a unique sour taste. 

From wikipedia:

Hershey process milk chocolate is cheaper to make than other types of chocolate as it is less sensitive to the freshness of the milk. The process is a trade secret, but experts speculate that the milk is partially lipolyzed, producing butyric acid, which stabilizes the milk from further fermentation. This compound gives the product a particular sour, "tangy" taste, to which the US public has become accustomed, to the point that other manufacturers often add butyric acid to their milk chocolates
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 08:14:12 PM »
Sour is not a word I'd use to describe hershey chocolate. Maybe like the article says, I'm used to the taste and don't notice. But I don't like sour foods at all (I'll eat lemon pie, cookies, etc as long as they're plenty sweet) and I have had dove and other brands of chocolate and notice no difference in sweetness compared to hersheys.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 01:59:03 AM »
Does anyone use the Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips???
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 08:19:45 AM »
Does anyone use the Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips???

I have in the past but I seem to remember sunflower being an issue with them.  They are more of a semi-sweet taste.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA