FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: MILK chocolate chips  (Read 7259 times)

Description:

Offline MandCmama

Re: MILK chocolate chips
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 08:02:38 PM »
Jessica- checked at Wegmans tonight and the only brand of candied fruit they carry is Pennant. From their website it appears they only handle fruit. May be worth a call. 
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline candyguru

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 08:47:57 PM »
Does anyone use the Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips???

we use them all the time.. delicious!
and peanut-free, wheat-free, egg-free, milk-free, etc
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »
Hershey milk and semi-sweet are safe in my area (and deeply discounted this time of year at Walmart, so I pick up a few bags as they disappear throughout the year and keep them in the freezer).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 01:24:22 PM »
Oh they can be kept in the freezer?? I had no idea and don't know why I never checked. That's good news because if I order, I want to order a bunch because of the shipping.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline candyguru

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
Hershey milk and semi-sweet are safe in my area (and deeply discounted this time of year at Walmart, so I pick up a few bags as they disappear throughout the year and keep them in the freezer).

Hershey's semi sweet chocolate chips are safe here in Toronto Canada too (I have used both Hersheys and Enjoy Life semi sweet chocolate chips)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline nutless

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 08:23:22 PM »
Does anyone use the Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips???

We use them daily. I've used them for covering cake pops, in cookies and sprinkled over yogurt. They melt well and taste good. However, when I went to Whole Foods today to grab a bag they were LITERALLY on top of and next to bags of peanut butter chips...now they feel contaminated...after commingling with the enemy!
DS (13) Allergic to peanuts/tree nuts/soy/sesame
USA

Offline brownie

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »
Years ago DS ate the Hershey's chocolate chips and refused more, swearing they tasted like peanut butter.  He unknowingly ate them from the same bag weeks later and said the same thing.  One of the 2 times, he broke out in a rash on his chin.  Not sure if it was the chocolate, but even so, considering he's anaphylactic and asthmatic, it wasn't much of a rxn.

I called Hershey's and they said they could have picked up the aroma of the peanut butter from sitting next to them on the shelf.  It was years before I was comfortable trying them again, but now I do.  However, I note the shelf position and often sniff the bag first :)  I'm sure I get a few weird looks!
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 01:52:03 PM »
I think I just ruined the 5 minute fudge.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 02:15:50 PM »
I think I just ruined the 5 minute fudge.

Oh no! what happened?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 02:36:01 PM »
Butterscotch chips do not melt at the same rate as chocolate chips so the chocolate was getting too warm and started to clump.  I think it's ok, but just not as smooth or pretty as I had anticipated.  I'll makes some notes and remember if I try again to give them a head start or I should just do it in the microwave.  I think I added the vanilla too late also.

I put it in a square pan, no wreath shape, and I cut an edge and it tastes fine.  We'll keep the pieces that aren't so pretty, but honestly my neighbors like my "flops" as long as they taste good.

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
Huh, I never noticed the different melting rate.... Glad it still tastes good! The last time I made it, I thought about cutting it into tiny pieces and putting them into little candy/mini muffin liners for giving. Didn't know if it would dry out. 
Pennsylvania, USA

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 05:53:19 PM »
I doubt it will be around long enough to dry out.