FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Alcohol and Food Allergies  (Read 3295 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Alcohol and Food Allergies
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
I'm sure our general thread like this is somewhere but I found this on Facebook and wanted to post it. It actually has to to with peanuts and tree nuts in alcohol.

http://www.avoidingmilkprotein.com/Anutty.htm
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Alcohol and Food Allergies
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:49:21 AM »
I can't tell you how much this scares me for when DS is in college.  Thankfully he's only 7 so I have a few years to come to terms with it.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 06:20:13 PM »
Is it sad that I am already considering a bartending course at home as well as letting him get drunk so he knows how out of control he will feel?

Is it bad that we have already discussed why certain liquors, ie beer will be unsafe for him (though in retrospect it was in relation to a food conversation).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:45:44 PM »
Nope.  I consider that no different than my discussion with my very innocent 12yo about sex and intercourse-- and that unprotected sex basically not only means deciding to have sex with that person... but also with pretty much everyone THEY have ever had sex with, too.

We, too, have had the conversation about how unsafe various forms of alcohol are for her-- for a variety of reasons, but allergens among them. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:35:43 PM »
Is it sad that I am already considering a bartending course at home as well as letting him get drunk so he knows how out of control he will feel?

Is it bad that we have already discussed why certain liquors, ie beer will be unsafe for him (though in retrospect it was in relation to a food conversation).

No this isn't bad.  I had DD with me when I went to our local ABC store (state-run liquor store) to buy a bottle of gin a couple of years ago.  While in the store, I pointed out alcoholic items that she would not be able to consume. 

I had to have a talk about kissing with her at age 5 because a boy in her day care had kissed another girl.   And I just had the thought today that my conversations about the birds and the bees will have to include another reason she should make sure her partner uses condoms:  the risk she could have an allergic reaction.

Whoops, I hadn't read CM's post before I posted my comment.  Great minds think alike, clearly. ;)   BTW, the reason that this popped into my head today is that they are starting their Family Life Education classes before winter break and in addition to personal hygeine, etc. this year's topics will also include reproduction.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:37:33 PM by maeve »
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber