login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: SOY, WHEAT, CORN ALLERGY - WHAT TO EAT!)  (Read 71938 times)

Description: NEW HERE, DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGING ON FOOD.

Offline lakeswimr

Re: SOY, WHEAT, CORN ALLERGY - WHAT TO EAT!)
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 07:14:24 PM »
I need help my daughter broke out real back over 2 yrs ago and we finally got allergy testing done well that test came back she was allergic to a lot of trees weeds etc. this past week she starting flareing up out of nowhere so I took her back to the dr. today and they did a food allergy test on her and comes back she needs to be on a glutin free diet also shows that she is allergic to soy, wheat all nuts, barley, core, potato, rye, chicken, turkey, all basically all the fish. what could anyone recommend me to feed her? I have been going through my cabnets and everthing I have has soy, corn syrup, or wheat in them. im so lost what to do now

Testing has a very high false positive rate meaning people test as allergic but are not allergic quite often.  Because of this, testing can't diagnose a food allergy.  if your child has been eating those foods and not having immediate reactions (within 2 hours of eating the food), then those are likely false positives.  Has your child had reactions to those foods?  Allergy testing has to be combined with reaction history to make a diagnosis.

Offline BrandyWineSeattle

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 03:03:41 PM »
I would think that mushrooms would be great....portobellos are delicious on the grill or in a soup (you can buy dried mushrooms and blend them into a powder to make the stock and it works extremely well).  I would say go fresh.....soy is a main ingredient in a lot of PACKAGED foods, but they can't put soy in a fresh salad or squash  :)  Try doing spaghetti squash with a nice garlic tomato sauce.  Roast potatoes, try a bean salad.  Once you get going, I think you'll realize that there is a lot open to you.

I'm not vegan myself, but have a friend who has shared a lot of delicious recipes with me.
I think I've been lost here before...

Offline TeddyCan

• New
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2016, 12:04:15 PM »
Jennifer is right. In my opinion, you can take rice as staple. You can also take oat meal sometime if you like. And paleo diet would go just fine with you. Also drink plenty of water to keep your body hydrated. Dehydrated body often causes enhanced production of histamine. Consult an immunologist for better guidance on what you should eat and what not.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2016, 07:51:09 PM »
I would think that mushrooms would be great....portobellos are delicious on the grill or in a soup (you can buy dried mushrooms and blend them into a powder to make the stock and it works extremely well).  I would say go fresh.....soy is a main ingredient in a lot of PACKAGED foods, but they can't put soy in a fresh salad or squash  :)  Try doing spaghetti squash with a nice garlic tomato sauce.  Roast potatoes, try a bean salad.  Once you get going, I think you'll realize that there is a lot open to you.

I'm not vegan myself, but have a friend who has shared a lot of delicious recipes with me.

You have to have protein.  I'm a veggie and now have to be vegan but I make sure to have protein.  If you avoid soy you have to have some other protein. 

Anonymous

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 09:52:23 PM »
Hey there!

I have also been diagnosed with all three of these allergies. Fear not, it is possible! I went through my whole life not knowing about these allergies, but found out about 4 years ago, I'm 27. Concentrate on the corn free list first, most all of the foods you'll be looking at, if they have wheat or soy, they very likely have corn derivatives in it as well. I've found my diet is very rich in flavor now, so look forward to that! I get my carbs/starches from sweet potatoes and peas/beans. That should help with some of the bread cravings you'll get as you rid your body of the things it's been used to for a long time (takes about 3 months). If you're starting this diet for the first time, beware that you may feel ill for those first three months, then get really sick for about a week, but then you'll feel the best you've ever felt thereafter! There are a ton of recipes for people with our allergies and they are all awesome, but some take some perfecting (just run a Google search for what you want to make and list the allergies, the brownies are to die for)! Count your eating out days goodbye, though. Restaurants are very tricky to navigate; many won't cater to these allergies together, none of them will lower the price of your meal even though your allergies take away 60% of the typical serving, but you can get an occasional free meal when they cause a hive reaction!

Oh, and if you like salads, make your own dressing! I use 50/50 100% grapeseed oil and white wine vinegar and add dill weed, onion powder, and whatever other spices you like, makes a great vinaigrette and you can take it to restaurants and feel confident you can avoid your allergies with a sale, although, avoid chicken in restaurants at all costs, every one I've been in that serves chicken marinates it an oil (typically olive), which for restaurants, means they use an oil that is mixed with vegetable oil (corn).

It's hard to do this come turkey, so if you can stand your reactions, I recommend weening yourself off slowly.

Good luck!

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »
It's hard to do this come turkey, so if you can stand your reactions, I recommend weening yourself off slowly.
This is extremely dangerous advice.  If you are allergic to a food you must cut it from your diet completely and immediately to avoid life-threatening reactions.  Past reactions cannot predict future reactions when it comes to true food allergies: having the sniffles one time could lead to hives or throat swelling next time.  If you are diagnosed with any food allergy (by a certified allergist!), get yourself two EpiPens (or other epinephrine autoinjectors), keep them on your person at all times, and avoid your allergens and traces of your allergens at all times. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum