FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Has Baked Egg Helped  (Read 3055 times)

Description:

Offline AllergyMum

Has Baked Egg Helped
« on: December 15, 2011, 07:23:05 AM »
For those who have done baked egg and passed have you seen your numbers gone down. and by how much have they decreased.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Has Baked Egg Helped
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:40:30 AM »
Allergist seemed to think that this year's spt was smaller.

I'm not sure it was significant, honestly, since the histamine control was also pretty small and we suspect that the reduced skin reactivity was due to a dose of benadryl about 86 hours prior.

<shrug>

Remember, numbers don't mean anything, really.  They aren't directly related to the clinical response in a direct, cause-and-effect manner.

In studies of oral desensitization, RAST values initially ROSE significantly during dosing-- sometimes really dramatically-- before eventually beginning a long, slow fall.

According to our allergist, this pattern seems to repeat in kids being dosed with baked egg or milk.  It's why he won't do another RAST on DD for several yearss (if ever).

Because the numbers really don't signify anything in clinical terms, I don't see much point in acquiring them at this point.

In plain terms, I could care less what the numbers are.  Treating with baked egg has helped QUALITY OF LIFE in terms of reduced sensitivity.  That's all the evidence we need.

KWIM?
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline TwoDDs

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 02:09:09 PM »
I can't say much about her numbers - she had rasts of 7 and 8 16 months and 4 months before baked egg challenge.  That was in February, 2011.  She passed the challenge and by August, was eating lightly cooked egg.  Today, while I do avoid mayo, meringue and royal icing and she will not eat an egg per se -she is not considered allergic and may eat what she likes.  So, I'd say it helped.  In February, 2009, when her rast would have been closer to a 12 - she anaphylaxed, needed epi and nearly was intubated following an accidental egg ingestion.

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 02:24:06 PM »
We didn't have allergy testing this year, so no idea if it's caused DD's numbers to go down.  Though she's still not entirely compliant with the program.  (She is at least now eating safe Hostess cupcakes that have egg; only problem: we have no way of know the exact dose.) 

However, she was able to get the flu vaccine this year because she tolerated some baked egg.  We also don't worry about shared lines for egg now.  So, there have been a couple of benefits.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber