login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: REALLY? 8th grade science  (Read 10863 times)

Description:

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
Re: REALLY? 8th grade science
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »
now she's asking if Hersey's is safe. 
I'm so irritated I could scream.  Partly bad timing because I had a horrible day yesterday plus extention of bad day today
(cannot find ATM card, ice maker broken, need tires, car a mess, dropped cell phone in sink and of course it conveniently slid right into a cake pan full of water
I don't mind helping to make things work.  But, 3 different types of chocolate, plus cocoa nibs (does anyone know anything about these)?   is just pushing me off the edge.  I am twisted sista today....
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

twinturbo

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 12:40:34 PM »
It's not you. She broke her word therefore your verbal agreement. That would be unacceptable under any circumstances. She's not Darth Vader, she's not supposed to alter the deal. Crummy that she's the 504 Team Leader though. How do you close the loophole the Team Leader left in place for herself?

Offline yelloww

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »
Just tell her that this project won't be possible for your son and that non food lessons are the only appropriate venue for his education.

Then print off these emails and send a separate request (like 5min later) to have the 504 team meet again to modify his accommodations to include non food lessons.

twinturbo

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »
I wonder if you can go at this in the affirmative by restating you still agree with her official no food in the lab and projects policy. When this was stated by her during the 504 meeting it met common sense, general health and safety concerns as well as ADA access criteria. Now that you've even got email to the effect that she confirms this was stated at the meeting. You wouldn't be so much disagreeing with her than saying she was right the first time which was an agreement during 504.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 04:23:26 AM »
So they are in school this Friday? The 23rd?

So as you know we are in the same grade. ;) and the no food thing is in DS' 504. Well "no food consumed in the classroom". They can do experiments with food with two weeks notice.

Last year (when we just had "advanced" notice). Our science teacher was horrible about this stuff did. Of get it. Like the day before the lab emailed me about making ice cream. I got this at work and did NOT have a few hours to take off to deal with this to make it safe when it was not supposed to happen. Whi h I eventually emailed him and our lovely 504c. But after wasting some of my employers time. Ugh.

Another time he did not inform me of needing to take a pizza  box for a thermal oven that the kids use to make their lunch on field day. I made that happen but we t through the 504c. I thought it was a valuable lesson tho techni ally a violation aS "outside" is DS classroom too. But I specified kids must bring new boxes only (several restaurants offer Thai pizza) and DS partner must wrap his food in foil and it must not contain pn.

It never ends, food in the classroom.

Get it in the 504.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 04:26:17 AM »
I would give her the amazon URL for Guittard white and say that's the only safe Stuff. Or VNF. And she can pay for expedited shipping. But she would need to use it in q
ALL  classes to avoid xc.

Oh nameless has a thread about nibs.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline yellow

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 06:27:22 AM »
Problem is that they sell guittard in the stores here not even 2 hrs from her. My grocery store has gobs of it right now. And I swear I saw white chocolate too.

It does us no good with the dairy allergy so I've never paid attention to it.

MFA, I saw it at Genuardi's down here.

Although the guittard route is a good idea to get the point across.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 06:56:27 AM »
Yesterday I called guidance lady who is awesome.  I left a message saying, "I'm really uncomfortable with this science project.  While I appreciate Mrs. XX trying to give me the information, it isn't an easy task to come up with 3 safe chocolates plus these cocoa things with 5 days notice.  Additionally, I was starting to get a bit torched with her suggestion that ds just interview people in lieu of tasting.  Please call me."

20 min later, I got an email from the science teacher saying the plans have changed and we'll do this in early January.  No further explanation.

I'll hopefully speak with counselor today and find out wth

Committee Member Hermes

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 07:12:20 AM »
The "lab plan" needs to CHANGE permanently and REMOVE food from all experiments.

The 504 Plan was NOT supposed to be changed or abrogated by a willful staff member who is suspect of character.

There, I said it.

UNtrustworthy.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2011, 07:14:27 AM »
And what is WITH the arrogant, ignorant, "I know better than you so just suck it up you lowly parent" science teachers this year?

just sayin'

have tshirt

NO QUOTE

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2011, 07:37:52 AM »
Yeah, Ajas there seems to be something going on with 8th grade science. 
I prefer (obviously) to not have food in the mix.  especially something like chocolate, I mean 3 kinds of chocolate! 
I am glad she communicated with me at least, but I felt like her message was these are "safe" they just have a cya label.  I know she didn't say that, but since I've met her before and we had the whole celiac discussion at the 504 meeting, that's how I interpreted it.
I spoke with my dh yesterday (who thought I should be flexible and help her make it work) and I explained why I was upset.  When I told him that she was suggesting he "interview people in place of tasting", he changed his tune.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »
I'm glad the experiment got nixed, and it's totally ridiculous that you had to take it to the counselor to get some action. I hope you still send an email requesting to revise your 504 for disallow food in the curriculum. If they did it once, they will likely do it again.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
Its not nixed.  Just moved to a later date (TBD) in January.
I predict that my ds will come home from school Friday and tell me he was blamed for the change.  I feel it coming. 
thanks for the heads up about Guittard.  I've never seen it up here.  May have my sil check at her stores in PA. 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline yelloww

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 01:26:40 PM »
I can probably send you some if you remind me next week.

They shouldn't blame a student for the fact that a teacher can't come up with a different lesson plan. Seriously, there are SO many lesson plan websites. There has to be another way to do this. She's just not looking for one.

Put in your request to modify the 504. Maybe you can stretch out the date for when this project is supposed to happen by doing so.

Offline yellow

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
Btw, I am so glad you and Ajas are posting about this. We will have the 504 meeting for 6th grade in the spring and I am absolutely bringing science experiments up specifically. I know we have to deal with home ec, but that should be the only food in his curriculum at school. Not science!