FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Mystery hives again  (Read 3287 times)

Description:

Offline Dewey

Mystery hives again
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »
I'm home from college for Christmas break - woke up this morning covered in hives. We're talking just about everywhere from the shoulders down, plus a few on my face. Breaking out in hives is not unusual for me, but when it's this many like this, that's a bit unusual. No itchy throat, no swelling anywhere else - just hives and slightly itchy eyes. Not knowing what's causing them is driving me crazy!

We do have a Christmas tree put up right now, but I've never reacted badly to Christmas trees like this before - do you think it could be the tree? Something else?
Allergic to walnuts & almonds, strawberries, shellfish, fish, coconut, penicillin, codeine, aspirin

EA's/SA's

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Mystery hives again
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
A few things that would be rather common culprits:

aniamls (yes, even pets that you once tolerated, if you have been living cat/dog free at school)

air fresheners/room sprays

a source of mold in the house

laundry/personal products (soap, shampoo, laundry detergent/softener, toilet paper, etc.)

It's also possible for hives to be viral or from seriously irritated skin if you've moved suddenly from a more humid environment to a VERY dry one, or vice versa.

ETA:  looks like "overnight" is when you began having the problem.  Pets on the bed?  A mattress cover/pad that contains an allergen?  A pillow that does?  Linens on the bed?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 06:18:00 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

Re: Mystery hives again
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
Along the same lines as what CM said, perhaps a different laundry detergent used on the linens on the bed?  Anything but free and clear detergent, and things get ugly around here.

Hoping that you feel better soon - I had a mystery reaction last night, and was pretty miserable.