login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food-free whole class rewards?  (Read 15933 times)

Description:

Offline joanna5

Food-free whole class rewards?
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:40:44 PM »
I am brainstorming some for our new principal.  He is eager to move away from the pizza party type of rewards, but is looking for ideas for alternatives.  I found one link in the resource section, but it wasn't active any more.  Am I missing a more current one?

Here are a few I came up with.   I'd love some other ideas if you have them.
- pajama day for the class
- video
- dance party in the gym
- extra recess with new/fun toys bought with the money they'd have spent on pizza.

Oh, here's one I found: 
http://www.chccs.k12.nc.us/StudentServices/HealthServices/ConstructiveClassroom.pdf

http://www.healthyactiveklamath.org/images/Non_Food_Rewards_Book.pdf
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:49:34 PM by joanna5 »
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

melsmom

Re: Food-free whole class rewards?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 05:13:13 AM »
Extra recess and or computer time
In the gym have relay races w the teachers
Trip to park for (school provided) picnic lunch
school store- kids are given tiger bucks and can "purchace" items (silly shoelace, sparkely pencil)
Special privleges-  office runner, read to little kid etc

A competition between classes- can even be used for education as we can graph it in the hall- for best lunch behavior/attendance etc

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 05:19:10 AM »
A couple of years ago, for a fundraiser, our gym teacher let the class that raised the most shave his head.  He got on stage in front of the school, had the winning class come up and they took turns, each with one swipe (each child got a couple of turns).  He wore his hair the way it ended up for the rest of the day (then finished shaving it after school that night). 
USA

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:20:30 AM »
If two classes are being rewarded, there's a kickball game between the two (or basketball, or whatever other sport the kids like).

Or prime seating at school assemblies.  I know there is one class in our school this year that won the right to the most coveted seats at every assembly for the rest of the year.
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 03:43:09 PM »
A special class project-- art, or a field trip.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »
Homework passes:  get to skip doing 1 assignment or get to turn it in 1 day later

Opportunity to check out an extra book from the library

At my school, if we raise enough $ in fundraisers, then the principal and assistant principal eat lunch on the roof.  The whole school gathers to watch them.  Obviously we have a flat roof.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 06:36:10 PM »
Our preschoolers love pajama days.  They have a 'gumball machine'.  It's a drawing of a machine, and the teacher draws on gumballs for good behaviors, helping out, etc.  Once they fill up the machine, they get a pajama Friday.

Offline joanna5

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:03:02 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm going to pass them on. 

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:44:41 PM »
I don't have time right now to find it, but Loudoun County, Virginia's food allergy policy has WONDERFUL grade-level appropriate ideas. Pages of them.  google it.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

callisto

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »
Pajama day, backwards day (wear clothes backwards), hat day, tie day, crazy hair day, crazy sock day......

Depends how old they are.  When DD was in lower elementary they earned "bucks" that they could spend on toys from the treasure box or save up for something bigger.  They could even combine with other kids to buy something together.

There was a long list of things they could buy including lunch with the teacher (a reward at that age!), receive a letter fromt the teacher, movie night at school, sit at the teacher's desk, have a guest come in to read a story, play a game - I can't remember them all.  It takes some imagination but the kids loved it. 

Offline joanna5

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »
Thanks again, everyone.  I sent my email today so hopefully I'll hear back soon.  Macabre, what a great resource the plan from Loudoun County is!