login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: combination allergy  (Read 10393 times)

Description:

Offline tiffanyv

combination allergy
« on: December 25, 2011, 10:45:31 PM »
Hello,

Since I can remember I have had the weirdest allergy.  If I have citric acid and chocolate in the same 24 hours I break out in hives and after about fifteen minutes I go into anaphalactic(sp?) shock.  The odd thing is that if I separate the two items by at least 24 hours I am fine.  I was wondering if anyone has a similar condition or maybe some advice.

Thanks

Offline Ra3chel

Re: combination allergy
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 02:59:32 PM »
I've heard of similar cases with food and environmental allergies, or specific foods before exercise, so it stands to reason that it might happen with two foods. Totally weird, though--especially must be a pain to explain to friends / relatives / restaurants! How did you figure it out?
The 3 is silent.

Offline tiffanyv

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:30:28 PM »
I found out when I was in Kindergarten.  I used to eat lunch at school and they tried to keep it "balanced" so you had to get milk, a vegetable, a fruit and an entree.  So like any five year old I would get chocolate milk and then orange juice for my fruit.  We couldn't figure out why I would have trouble breathing after lunch.  so through about three weeks of eliminating certain foods and drinks my mom and I figured out that it was the combination of chocolate and citric acid that was causing the reaction.  It seemed to calm down from when I was about 15-20 but now it is more sensitive than ever.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 02:16:24 PM »
That must really be a tough one to explain to friends and family!

Just curious-- do you have problems with other things that also contain citric acid?  It's in a ton of things-- including medications and flavorings. 

Or is it citrus fruit? 

If it's the latter, do you tolerate pineapple okay?  Many people erroneously think of it as citrus, but it's entirely unrelated.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 03:12:34 PM »
Both are reflux triggers and reflux can cause asthma-like symptoms.  I know if I eat those things and lie down in bed I will have trouble breathing due to reflux. 

I have not heard of someone being able to eat allergens separately but having *anaphylaxis* when they were eaten together.  Also, chocolate is something that contains many common allergens.  It can have various nuts (some so uncommon that a person could go many years without eating that particular nut and then have it and have a reaction), peanuts, milk, eggs, etc.  An allergy to citrus acid is quite rare.

Have you been to an allergist?  Do you have epi pens?

When you say anaphylactic shock do you mean you literally had shock from a reaction (very low blood pressure, could have died shock)?

Offline tiffanyv

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:38:03 PM »
It is really anything with citric acid... including medicines and preservatives.  I pretty much just try to avoid chocolate at all costs but like any woman I get that craving.  I have seen an allergist and I do have an epipen.  When I was there they did separate tests for citric acid and coco and they didn't react but when they combined them there was a reaction.  when I say anaphylaxis I really do mean shock...been to the hospital a few times but usually the epipen will do the trick.  when I was young I had to be hospitalized for this reaction.  It really is a pain to explain to people especially if I am at dinner at someones house or at dinner in a restaurant.