login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chilis Restaurant?  (Read 2435 times)

Description:

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Chilis Restaurant?
« on: December 01, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »
I tried a search here and at the old archives. 

Anyone dine here?  Mostly concerned about peanut/tree nut and frypers.  Dd is invited to dine with a few friends and go see a movie, for her BFF's b-day.  Trying to scope it out.  I think we ate there years ago, once, and recall not alot of options.  Nothing fried, maybe?  Anyone been recently?  I do plan to call the specific restaurant on my own.

I think she could have a plain burger and corn on the cob last time(but now has an appliance on her teeth).  The mom(my good friend) said I can pack her some backup food.  She will for her ds, as he and mom have celiac.  So, she gets being careful and cross contamination and all that.  She will ask questions, I am sure. 

becca
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline hedgehog

Re: Chilis Restaurant?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
Chili's used to have a chili that had PB as an ingredient.  That has been gone from their menu for some time now.  We go occasionally, and DS gets the burger.
USA

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:07:48 PM »
Chili's is one of my standbys. Ask for the Allergy menus (you can also find them online) and then you can see what is safe. They do have a cya disclaimer on the bottom, but Chili's (and Applebee's) have these allergy menus and procedures in place in the kitchen. I still hand over my hot pink chef allergy card.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
On this page: http://www.chilis.com/EN/Pages/menu.aspx

You'll see the Allergen menu link.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 10:54:46 PM »
Dd went with her friend and family and a couple of other girls.  The mom said they brought allergy menus(and gluten free fo rher and her ds) and dd got grilled salmon and asked for a sub of plain pasta and she very much enjoyed her dinner.  My friend even emailed me during the dinner to let me know all was good and she was fine!

Sounds like they have changed since we were last there.  In a good way.

becca
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:02:20 AM »
I just saw this post and wanted to add our two cents.

Chili's is our standby for company and while traveling. Love them.  :thumbsup:

I went in to a new Chili's in Rhode Island as I was traveling, totally unsure and frankly didn't think I would get a favorable response but had a half hour to kill while waiting for relatives to catch up with us on the road trip.

The chef came out and *thoroughly* explained their precautions, printed out the allergy menus and walked us through. I've since asked for host before we are seated for the manager. Present the fluorescent chef card and our allergies. Without fail--the manager is trained, the staff is trained. The only thing is they usually forget allergies and try to offer the dessert menu.

They will let you know your options. Always recheck the allergy menu expiration date (good through 3/31/11 for example). We made the mistake of keepign that first menu like it was the holy grail. Then another manager looked at our tattered copy and pointed out there had been a few revisions since  :)
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »
I think with PA only, it is do-able.  With more FAs, it's not so do-able.  Just our experience at our local Chilis.  We were able to get very little for our two kids there, not a complete meal.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline ilismama

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »
we've had no issues w/a PA child...
they have often times brought out their big, thick binder w/all the ingredients & cross contamination possibilities clearly listed.
Allergic to penicillin, sulfa drugs & coconut
DD 9/22/03 PA,chick peas, pine nuts, dogs/cats, penicillin
DS 7/9/08 NKA
USA