7 yr old girl died at school in VA on 1/2/12

Started by socks on a rooster, January 03, 2012, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabiCat

QuoteIF the forms were the issue, they actually could have refused attendance.  Plus, what about low income parents that can't afford the doctor visit to get the forms filled out?

I wouldn't be as worried about "low income" families as the I would the moderate. Chips and medicare both provide good coverage for such things and for epi-pens, in home health training (if you know who to ask).

Then there are the families that live just above the cutoffs. They are not considered low income or at need. No housing assistance, no food stamps, no school lunch program and NO CHIPS. Often they have health insurance but that doesn't mean that they can afford the out of pockets to access needed care.

I don't know if this is where this family falls but I believe that it could certainly contribute to a situation unfolding like this one has.       
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

CMdeux

... Yes, it could, Tabi.

Or it could result in even a low-income family being unable to leave an epipen at school-- because of ridiculous (dangerous) program restrictions on how many refills are allowed, and WHEN.

We now have prescription restrictions like that even on our so-called cadillac healthcare plan.  I can't imagine that low-income healthcare plans offer better prescription coverage.

So if the school "can't accept" medications that don't have an expiry past the end of the school year, I can see how it could result in "nothing" being on hand as the only alternative.

That is heartbreaking and just--

unspeakably evil in the way that only faceless bureaucratic decision-making can be.   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Carefulmom

I have worked in clinics for low income people.  They have better health coverage than the rest of us middle class.  There are clinics where truly low income people can get all of their health care for free or for $1 per visit.  Medications are free.  There is no charge for medication forms.  I would love to have the health benefits that low income people have.

I still believe that there was a reason that the school refused to take the epi, other than they just didn`t feel like it.  Expired, almost expired, no necessary forms, you name it.  Still they should have called 911 first.  And how the child got the food we don`t know.  The school probably messed up there also.

TabiCat

I am not sure what  what happens now.  As of two and a half years ago when I last assisted a family on CHIPS with this issue as long as the DR wrote the RX for two twin packs with refills than the family could get two sets for their very low copay. Otherwise it would be out of pocket and we all know what that means.

So the parent would need to be aware to TELL the Dr to write that way because often they don't think about the logistics.   

This is also what I have to do otherwise it will bite me in the tush.

Texas

TabiCat

QuoteI would love to have the health benefits that low income people have.

I have thought the same recently but that is for another thread (actually 2 down in OT)

Texas

SilverLining

When my son started middle school, I went the first day and dropped of his spare epi-pen and the required medical forms.  While I was in the office a student brought in her epi, but no forms.  The school refused to accept them, BUT made it very clear why.  She was given the forms and told to bring the epi back with the forms.

fyi....in June they return the forms when the epi is picked up.  In September they will accept those forms back.  If they want newer ones they will still accept the old ones temporarily.  (Here, doctors can charge patients for filling out those forms and some people flip out over needed new ones.)

TabiCat

I have to have new forms with a new date each year same for the action plan.

If I get the forms filled out at an appointment I don't pay extra. If it is already in the file and all they need to do is fax it over I don't pay extra. If I have to send something in to be filled out and faxed back I pay $10.

Texas

ajasfolks2

I haven't been able to post about this yet.

Right now all I can say is

this could EASILY have been in Fairfax County ,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

ajasfolks2

Crossposting.

I haven't been able to post about this yet.

Right now all I can say is

this could EASILY have been in Fairfax County ,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

Here's why:

Area schools guard against students' allergic reactions
Thursday - 1/5/2012, 4:47pm  ET
Darci Marchese, wtop.com

From the article:
QuoteFairfax County Public Schools spokesperson Mary Shaw says the system, which serves nearly 178,000 students, is in the middle of producing district-wide guidelines on how to deal with and treat students with allergies.

Shaw says officials want parents, teachers and school leaders to be on the same page, and students in general are treated on a case-by-case basis. Some are allowed to keep epinephrine -- which can be used to treat reactions caused by things like insect bites and foods -- with them while other students will have to get the treatment from the school nurse.

Shaw says students who need them will have "individualized health plans."

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=120&sid=2693335

People,  SAME sh** NEW DAY.

Nearly 4 years since our hideous experiences with Fairfax County began.

Same sh**.

Let me also say that Shaw has SERIOUSLY misspoken:

There are NOT school NURSES in FFX schools.  Same set up as in Chesterfield -- PHN's who over see multiple schools and just "trained" laypersons in the schools on the front lines.

The epipens are LOCKED UP in the "health room" -- no longer called a clinic as there are NO MEANINGFUL HEALTH SERVICES PROVIDED.

rainbow

But maeve, doesn't this say that a nurse CAN stock generic Epipen if prescribed by a medical doctor? (You said before VA schools could only take Rx for specific person).

Quote from: maeve on January 05, 2012, 04:23:49 PM
More from the VA code:

D. Pursuant to an oral or written order or standing protocol issued by the prescriber within the course of his professional practice, such prescriber may authorize registered nurses and licensed practical nurses to possess (i) epinephrine for administration in treatment of emergency medical conditions and (ii) heparin and sterile normal saline to use for the maintenance of intravenous access lines.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Board of Health, certain emergency medical services technicians may possess and administer epinephrine in emergency cases of anaphylactic shock.

PS tabi, pm me ... I can't figure out pm on this site.

YouKnowWho

I continue to read that it was a "Clinic Aide" and not necessarily a nurse.  We have neighboring counties without a true nurse in the clinic, just someone whose training was just short of kissing boo-boos.

Could that have been the case? 

Or could there have been a miscommunication between the school and the mother that epi's were not needed.  I thought there was a dr reviewed allergy action plan in place?
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

ajasfolks2

I have been told by more than one "official" in 2 different school districts in Virginia that the epipen may only be at school if prescribed for that student and with ALL (there is more than one) of the "official" forms completed and signed by physician.

No stock epipens in either district.

In Virginia it is always interesting, informative, and then maddening to read the separate school district's "policy" and procedure and fine print so far as all the LTFA forms and info.

Appearances are deceiving and ground truth can be deadly, as my husband and I went on RECORD stating.

So, now another child has died.

How many more will it take?

ajasfolks2

No school nurse in that school.

The Public Health Nurse is just an overseer and rarely IN the school preforming duties.

TabiCat

Quote from: rainbow on January 06, 2012, 03:53:10 PM
But maeve, doesn't this say that a nurse CAN stock generic Epipen if prescribed by a medical doctor? (You said before VA schools could only take Rx for specific person).

Quote from: maeve on January 05, 2012, 04:23:49 PM
More from the VA code:

D. Pursuant to an oral or written order or standing protocol issued by the prescriber within the course of his professional practice, such prescriber may authorize registered nurses and licensed practical nurses to possess (i) epinephrine for administration in treatment of emergency medical conditions and (ii) heparin and sterile normal saline to use for the maintenance of intravenous access lines.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Board of Health, certain emergency medical services technicians may possess and administer epinephrine in emergency cases of anaphylactic shock.

PS tabi, pm me ... I can't figure out pm on this site.

Hey where did that quote come from I can't believe I missed that SO sorry maeve I'll be right on it. 

Texas

ajasfolks2

Important to note that in Virginia each school district adopts its own codes/laws and rules as to epipens and meds -- possible that some schools/districts will NOT allow stock epipens, I think -- they get around it with the forms required.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview