login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Mushroom Stew  (Read 1736 times)

Description: from OT discussion)

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
Mushroom Stew
« on: January 12, 2012, 12:23:58 PM »
Ra3chel, it is a pork based stew with loads of mushrooms(like equal to the meat), and diced veggies(onions, peppers, red and green, celery, garlic, a bit of carrot).  I looked at a few recipes and them just sort of did my own thing.  I honestly do not have a recipe.  it is a local thing to Uitca, NY, where dh's family is from, and him mom makes it.  Only my second time ever, but just had a craving!

Roughly 2.5 pounds meat, 1.5-2 pounds sliced mushrooms, about 1-2 cups each of the diced veggies, as you prefer.  I load it with veggies to make it a bit healthier/leaner.  I had some pork sirloin chops, boneless.  Pork Butt is traditional, from what i could read, and some use sausage(not how I have had it, though).  I used some steak seasonong blend on the browning meat, some poutry blend and some italian blend herbs, and salt and pepper for flavor.  Did I say Garlic(about 6 large cloves in my big pot).  Oh, some canned crushed tomatoes(I used a large can and a small can of diced for my above approximate proportions).

So, kids will not eat it.  Sigh.  I will freeze some.

becca

Here is some discussion of the dish and variations on recipes, lol.  I have never had it with sausge, but I only have my MIL's version.  http://blog.timesunion.com/recipebox/mushroom-stew/62/
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Mushroom Stew
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:14:24 PM »
Becca, that looks fabulous!  Younger DS would like it as he looooves 'shrooms.

Be glad DH isn't from Rochester; then you'd be eating Garbage Plates.  ~)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Tahou_Hots
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US