login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Krispy Kreme Doughnuts  (Read 30841 times)

Description: Anyone w/ PA eat these?

Offline IowaMom

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
« on: January 12, 2012, 04:16:39 PM »
I was thinking there was a thread on these a while back, but has anyone gotten any information on them recently?  DD is PA only- her school has them on the "safe snack list" for birthday treats, but I have yet to let her eat one. 
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »
We eat them. Immv. SS is PA.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline candyguru

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:35:43 PM »
I am PA, and I eat Krispy Kreme donuts.  I checked our local Krispy Kreme and they do not use any peanut products.  Never had a problem. 

(they are high fat so just an occasional treat  :happydance: )
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 07:41:30 PM »
CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE.

My first call years ago assured me with confidence that no PN/TN products were used. We used them as our substitute ice cream shop.

Then I caught word somewhere they had changed. I called again, they did not recommend PN/TN allergic consume their products. No precautions were taken to avoid cross contamination. The shops might not have allergens but the sprinkles? etc etc

We have not gone back.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »
I had a similar response from them.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline candyguru

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 08:48:05 PM »
Thank you for your email regarding our product ingredients. We appreciate
the opportunity to assist you.

We often receive questions from consumers like you about the likelihood of
peanuts in our products.  For clarification, Krispy Kreme does not knowingly
add any peanuts or other nut derivatives to our doughnuts; however, we
cannot guarantee that our products are free of nuts or nut derivatives. The
final decision to consume Krispy Kreme doughnuts will always rest with the
consumer.

We hope that you’ll find this information helpful and appreciate the
opportunity to provide assistance.  We look forward to serving you again in
the future.

Considering the majority of food manufacturers do not guarantee their products are peanut-free,  am comfortable eating Krispy Kreme.  If I only ate food that was guaranteed to be peanut-free, I would starve as there wouldn't be much to eat.  So personally, they are fine with me.   :)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 08:53:13 PM by candyguru »
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
Immv. no advice but we eat them occasionally. im okay with the practices of the individual shops we solicit. Its not like KK donuts are necessary for survival.  then id be po'd.  press most manufacturers with any peanut/treenuts in a processing type "onsite" establishment, and thats the response youll probably get.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 05:18:16 AM »
They are an occasional treat here.  DS has never had a problem.  The only KK around here is in a direction I rarely go, but only 1/2 hour away.  So I don't get them often because I'm not in that direction often (but whenever I go that way, I make sure I stop and pick some up). 
USA

Offline IowaMom

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »
Thank you all for your responses. For those of you who do eat there, do you eat the ones with sprinkles or just the glazed?  Dd is really wanting sprinkles but I'm leery.
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline candyguru

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 07:46:32 PM »
Thank you all for your responses. For those of you who do eat there, do you eat the ones with sprinkles or just the glazed?  Dd is really wanting sprinkles but I'm leery.

I eat original glazed, chocolate iced, maple iced, raspberry jelly, lemon jelly, and the caramel crunch one

Never noticed the donut with sprinkles... maybe you can contact them to ask which vendor provides them with the sprinkles so you can contact the vendor directly regarding allergens 

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 08:09:16 PM »
Thanks Candyguru for the response. The customer response I had over the phone was not like the written response. I remember "we recommend those with pn/tn allergies to avoid these products". That is what caused us to stop going. I was truly struggling with the phone call as it was our main go-to.

Thanks again for posting the response.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »
Thanks Candyguru for the response. The customer response I had over the phone was not like the written response. I remember "we recommend those with pn/tn allergies to avoid these products". That is what caused us to stop going. I was truly struggling with the phone call as it was our main go-to.

Same here.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Jessica

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 02:15:49 AM »

That's what we got over the phone too. My kids are always asking for them but somehow I am just too nervous to try it.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline candyguru

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »

I never called them (I usually use email or check manufacturer's web site).  My guess is that they have no guarantee that their suppliers are peanut/nut-free, so as a precaution they advise customers that they can't guarantee peanut-free/nut-free.  So yes, I can understand why people may be hesitant to eat them, since they advise the product is not nut-free (even though they don't use nuts).  Plus I read some locations (not in Canada) have onsite ice cream parlours at Krispy Kreme and the ice cream is not nut-free, so that could be another issue to be concerned about.

This is a problem with most manufacturers, as I don't know how many manufacturers check with all of their suppliers to ensure they are peanut/nut-free.

I don't eat Tim Horton's or any other donut chain.. Tim Hortons manufactures peanut butter cookies so they are off limits. 

Offline Jessica

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »
When we were traveling a few years back we stopped at one in, I believe, Pennsylvania, that had a sign on the door saying they used nuts. Apparently they were one of the ones with ice cream. That was after the one around us had closed and before I called and got the info about avoiding. 
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA