FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Kitchen Basics Stocks  (Read 4359 times)

Description:

Offline Irene

Kitchen Basics Stocks
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
This company has a good allergen policy and as far as I can tell from their website www.kitchenbasics.net they do not use peanut or treet nuts.  I've been using their chicken stock and beef stock for my cooking.

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Kitchen Basics Stocks
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:06:23 PM »
Unless something has dramatically changed their labeling looks great but it can be considered lip-service as they are extremely evasive as to what is produced in the facility.

We use Progresso stocks by GM based on their labeling.  DS1 (gluten allergic) had consistent issues with Swanson despite the label reading safe but I found inconsistent information when I called as well. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
Unless something has dramatically changed their labeling looks great but it can be considered lip-service as they are extremely evasive as to what is produced in the facility.

We use Progresso stocks by GM based on their labeling.  DS1 (gluten allergic) had consistent issues with Swanson despite the label reading safe but I found inconsistent information when I called as well.

did you call kitchen basics?  I was given great information when I called a couple years ago.  I'm confused by your post too because Kitchenbasics has a great allergen statement, but you say lip service, but you go by the Swanson label?  maybe I just misread/misunderstood your point?

http://www.kitchenbasics.net/display.cfm?p=20&pp=5

I support them because I think they have one of the better allergen statements and I'm really happy no MSG.  for our concerns which are peanut/treenut, I'm really happy with their company
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:45:44 PM by Mfamom »
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline maeve

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
Kitchenbasics also has a lot less sodium than other stocks.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »
I'm also surprised that you aren't comfortable with KB since they are aware of the top 8 allergens and test for them.  I know you avoid wheat and maybe eggs for one of your kids. 

Committee Member Hermes

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:17:12 PM »
I did use them but heard about some mystery reactions (local board) and then I started reading more.  I did call myself with no straight answers.
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/18662/post_id/404747#404747
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline joanna5

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 12:32:01 PM »
I got great answers when I called a few years ago.  We've been using it ever since then- chicken, beef, and turkey stock.  Oh, and veg once, too.  No issues here. 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline Elliana

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:33:34 PM »
I called a few years back and was told that they share facility with several other companies.  Thus, I was advised not to use their stocks.  We've avoided them ever since.

I don't have notes from back then, but it seems to me that they had something on their label that alluded to being peanut or tree nut free, but when I called, only the product was free of those (not the lines). 

If you do a search on the old board, I bet you could find the information from my phone call to them.

Best wishes, Elle
PN/TN allergic
USA

Offline Elliana

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
Here's one thread (not the one I was looking for, but gives you some information):

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/18662/post_id/404618#404618

This is from the thread listed above:
"OK I just spoke with Pacific Foods. They are peanut free, but not tree nut free. They do not have dedicated lines. The rep says they run their broth at the begining of the week, then the other products. They wash down the line at the end of the week. NOT ok with me. Then I called Kitchen Basics. I was told that they don't even know what is in the facility because they share it with other manufacturers. The rep says they wash the lines down and test every batch to make sure no more than 5 parts per million test positive for peanuts What? I asked about tree nuts, and she didn't have an answer. Kitchen Basics is now off my list."

And here's the thread with the exact info from my telephone call to Ktichen Basics:

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/5862/post_id/144235#144235

This is from that thread:
"I finally got my call back from Kitchen Basics. The customer rep said that they run their stock in a public facility, which many companies use. She couldn't tell me what other companies or what other products, but that peanuts and tree nuts were indeed produced on the same line as all the stocks. She only could tell me that their cleaning procedures comply with FDA guidelines, but didn't have specifics."
PN/TN allergic
USA

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
Elliana,
Great to see you!  Thank you for looking that up.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Elliana

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 05:58:14 PM »
Elliana,
Great to see you!  Thank you for looking that up.

You're welcome!  I don't pop in as much anymore, but still try and get here every so often...
PN/TN allergic
USA