ECMO to help ana patients when lungs and heart shut down

Started by luci, February 02, 2012, 10:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luci

The recent post about the Omaha 7 year old was interesting for me. And though I'm glad to hear the outcome was good the way they effected that success was even better news.

The news report said they used ECMO (a medical machine) to breathe and pump oxygen through the child's body when heart and lungs were shutting down.  Eight years ago I talked to a doctor friend about anaphylaxis and how people died because their heart and lung shut down.  I told her I thought it would be great if they could make a machine to oxygenate the blood and put it back into the body sort of like a dialysis machine but adding O2 and taking out CO2 while the blood was pumped through the machine.  So my friend said they had a machine that could do that and was used during surgeries (it was called ECMO). I said great, they could use that to save anaphylaxis patients,  but she said that she had never heard of using ECMO in those cases, just with surgeries.  I'm so glad they apparently are using it now.

Does anyone know if this is a common protocol now (for ana cases where the heart and lung are shutting down)?

Arkadia

ECMO is to heart and lung what CCVHD is to kidney.   Both involve exceptionallt gravely ill individuals and hospitalization/critical care.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Arkadia

just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

CMdeux

Right-- and even more rare in pediatric treatment than in adults, at least outside of major pediatric transplant centers.

Being in anaphylaxis at a place that can resort to ECMO is purely luck.  Good luck, of course, if you need it-- but it's probably not the reality for 99% of people vulnerable to anaphylaxis.  It wouldn't be an option in time for my DD, for example-- though we do live within an hour of a pediatric transplant center that has one.  Trouble is that she'd already be dead by then. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

hedgehog

First time I heard of ECMO was over 16 years ago.  My co-worker's grandbaby was due around the same time I was due to have DD.  But her grandchild was born preemie, and was missing one lung entirely and the other was not large or developed enough.  I know they had her on an ECMO machine (the baby did not survive more than a few weeks, though  :'( ).
USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview