login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: enzyme deficiency showing allergic reactions?  (Read 6942 times)

Description: anyone know anything about this ?

Offline eragon

Re: enzyme deficiency showing allergic reactions?
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 05:09:06 AM »
yes, under a very good immunlogist .  am glad we are going on wednesday, things arent getting any better.  :-[
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
 :-[  Please keep us posted!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
 :-[

eragon, I haven't known what to say-- please know that I am thinking about you and your DS.   :grouphug:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline eragon

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 04:50:12 PM »
thank you everyone, we are all ready for tommorrow. have printed of list of his symptoms since last sunday, and have his blood test results from GP.

so fingers crossed we can get him well and get back to our normal allergy life.

He has needed lots of cuddles, which is tricky when your baby is taller than you, but still, shows how poorly a teen he is... :'(
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline eragon

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »
okay. so we now know what it is likely to be, bad news its nasty when you google it!

herditory angio-oedema

so we are reeling with information, and getting son to take his new meds for a week until we go back to his immunologist.
more blood tests have been taken, and certainly his symptoms do fit.

its rare, one in  100,000 or something,  brain not fully functioning at the mo!

although there is plenty of family history of allergies, but not angio-oedema, it can still happen through a mutated gene. 

I am already suspecting that new emergency life saving meds will sit alongside his epi pens.

life is hard enough for any teen, but with this? its a big weight to carry.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm so sorry!  :-[   :grouphug:
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 06:09:49 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry.   :grouphug:

It must be something of a relief to have a possible diagnosis to work with, however.  I hope that management is straightforward.   :smooch:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 06:14:13 PM »
I've been thinking of you all day. 

Offline eragon

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 07:58:07 AM »
son still feeling poorly, stomach problems from the condition, causes swelling and pain inside. so cant eat much in one sitting. 

sorting out school , and he may have to have a teacher from school come to our home. hopefully once he has this condition under control he can go back to school. however he may have to drop some of his subjects and just do exams on the core ones.

we can still only take one day at a time. I make sure there is a responsible adult at home  if i have to step out, even for a short time, and take my phone with me. Stress levels are still very, very high, as we get to grip with the realisation that he has such a rare condition, and that we may have a long way to go to get this under control, medically.
Then, of course , there are side effects from the meds.

Offline my3guys

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 08:06:41 AM »
I'm sorry eragon.  I don't know anything about his diagnosis, but I hope it's manageable and he starts to feel better soon.  It sounds terrible. :(

Offline eragon

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »
took son back to hos. going to get reffered onwards to someone even more senior, who sounds very good. current doc gonna phone and try and get an emergency appointment for him, so fingers crossed.

as a precaution did a ECG, which he failed so gonna repeat with gp.  (am sort of freaked out about this one...trying to chill.)

got home to find letter from school. am in too minds about it.

we have a lot swirling around in our heads.  son is terribly upset, but so brave, and calm about it. He is going to need lots of support, and is dealing with a load that a adult would find hard to deal with, let alone a quiet shy 15yr old.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »
oh my.  I'm so sorry for what your DS and all of you are dealing with.  Poor kid.  That sounds really tough.  Hope you can get in to the more senior doctor. 

:grouphug:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...