I'm back with bad news

Started by joanna5, January 30, 2012, 08:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanna5

Hi there.  We've had other things take center stage lately over FAs, but unfortunately, allergies are back in the fore front.  A few months ago, our youngest had a reaction.  We had him tested and milk, peanuts, and soy came back negative, while egg was positive.  He's had very, very limited milk (a bit of my cottage cheese once or twice kind of limited) due to our oldest's allergies.  At least once, I remember seeing blotchiness, but writing it off to sensitive skin, as that's not unusual for him.

You can see where this is going.  Today, we got back from the doctor's office.  Ryan has lost a pound in the last month, so I made a very conscious decision to try to give him additional fats/calories via milk products.  The big kids asked for grilled cheese for lunch (soy cheese for David, cow's milk for Allison).  I decided to give Ryan cow's milk for the calories, figuring he needed a bath anyway so I'd just do it after lunch.  He ate a bit of the sandwich, but not much.  I cleaned him up and brought him upstairs to get him ready for his bath.  He started rubbing his face against me.  Upstairs, I realized that his face, neck and chest were covered in hives.  Ugh.  It's definitely the milk, as everything else he ate was from opened packages that he's eaten from in the last few days.  It all went away with Benadryl, but came back when it wore off. 

We're going back to the allergist on Valentine's Day.  I'm bummed.  No, the feeding won't be hard since we already have a milk allergy, but man, I'm just so sad that Ryan has to go through this, too.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

aggiedog

I'm sorry.  I know, it's not like you don't already know how live that life, but we all hold out hope/thanks that our other kids are not going to have to live it.  (hugs)

GingerPye

oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.  That really stinks.   :grouphug:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

PurpleCat

eragon

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

joanna5

Thanks, everyone.  I'm doing a bit better today.  He'll have the best role model around for living with food allergies.  :)
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

AllergyMum

Oh no that is too bad. Our son has pretty much the same allergies as yours. Big hugs
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

MaryM

2boyz4me

Jenn
Ashton (15) & Holden (12)
Both have env. allergies & H has LFTA to shrimp & sesame ......

socks on a rooster

I'm so sorry. I have one with FA and one without, and it's the only thing that keeps me sane some days, not having to worry x2.  :grouphug:

Janelle205

:grouphug:  So sorry that you're having to go round two with this.  I'm happy that your son has such a prepared, knowledgeable momma though.

Mfamom

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview