login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 100 Days of School  (Read 8262 times)

Description: AKA Another excuse for food

Online YouKnowWho

100 Days of School
« on: January 24, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
So DS2 brought home his baggy for 100 days of school with the request to fill it with 100 items.  Easy enough, I don't have to do food.

DS1 brought home his baggy two days later (so much for thinking this was a Kindy only thing) with a request that I make his own trailmix since all of the other kids have to bring a single bag of 100 items and they will mix it up to create a trail mix of their own to pass back out to them.  So I have to come up with 10 items that I can gather up to make 100 items total.  Not pleased.  Can we say added cost for me?  Oh yes, because other parents get to buy a single bag of pretzels or candy or whatever.  I get to come up with numerous packages.

But it gets better.  They plan to graph with it.  A nice hands on activity. 

Inclusive event?  I'm calling BS.  Not to mention what it will cost me in sanity...
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Scout

Re: 100 Days of School
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
does it say you have to find 10 things....maybe just three or four.....then mix...

the kids really wont notice....the difference.....

Yes it stinks, but it is common....

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:07:16 AM »
Well she wants to do graphing and considering other kids will have 16-17 items, I am trying to do my best to give DS1 the same yet safe, if that makes sense.

My bigger concern is the total gluten fest all over the classroom in the name of learning.

We never celebrated the 100 days in school and I can't say my education is lacking as a result.  My son's get to celebrate the 100 days and get a good lesson on exclusion.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »
Oh, we didn't do 100 days, either.  This became very popular about 1990, I think, recalling what my mom had to say about it.  It used to only be a Kindy thing-- with kids in the "first" year of formal schooling, see...

Yeah, I feel that my own education was SEVERELY handicapped as a result of not celebrating the 100 days.  And Dr. Seuss's birthday.  And Earth Day... and world AIDS day... and SPAM's anniversary... and the birth of Benny Hill...

Oh, nevermind.

Maybe you should send in condoms as a way of pointing out in fine passive-aggressive manner just how GROSSLY inappropriate some of these items are for YOUR child, and just how offensive you find the entire thing.

(Is this a Catholic school?   :evil:  Even better...)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
Flavored condoms, hmmmm.

Thank you for making me pee my pants and shoot coffee out my nose LOL
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:16:55 PM »
<bows>

I live to serve, Madame.   ;D

PS.  A jumbo variety pack ought to provide for QUITE the graphing activity.

Oh, and if you DO go that route, edible panties and some soft-cuffs as a teacher's gift (ooooo... or... Valentine's day IS coming up soon) ought to make quite the splash at the end of the year... yep-- she'll DEFINITELY remember YOU.  :rofl:

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:19:48 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:32 PM »
On a more serious note, how about HARDWARE?

screws, washers, nails, nuts, bolts...

Or buttons.

No food, no risk, still much the same idea related to graphing activity, etc.

Western U.S.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:24:22 PM »
Sadly this is the teacher who has come as close to "getting it" in three years (minus having the one teacher for 6 weeks who had an allergic child, this teacher just has some experience with Celiac).  But none some to realize what it does to a child who is constantly different.

Nope - she wants food to create a trail mix for all of the kids.  Personally I would be fine with hardware and you just gave me a great idea for DS2.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »
In that case, go with edible adult novelties.   :yes:

Western U.S.

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 01:31:34 PM »
Oh, I am so glad that dd is not in elementary school any more.  YKW, it really does get better.  Nowhere near the amount of food in lesson plans when they get older.  My "favorite" was green eggs and ham day with a child who is ana to egg.  Our teacher was wonderful and gave me a choice of whether the class would skip it or do it in a different classroom and dd have her own safe green snack, keeping our classroom uncontaminated.  But why do they need to do green eggs and ham day anyhow?

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:46:57 PM »
so after they touch, wipe nose, count, cough, sniffle, and finally graph - they eat?    YUMMY!  :watch:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »

I wonder who gets the (peanut butter) cheerios carefully bagged up in hepatitis-Mom's kitchen....

:-/

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 02:48:38 PM »
so after they touch, wipe nose, count, cough, sniffle, and finally graph - they eat?    YUMMY!  :watch:

Exactly.

What edible glue are they using?  Does it contain wheat?

:banghead:

(Because surely they will want permanent graphs to post and show off too, right?  Where?  In the classroom or out on hallway wall?)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:49:56 PM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 06:23:20 AM »
DH just read this and said he would send in fried crickets and super stinky fermented stuff to celebrate diversity.

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »
DD's class did this is 2nd grade. She had to send in 100 pcs  of cereal (she had to count them at home). They gave us a list of several types of safe, but horribly unhealthy ones to choose from. Then, they MIXED IT ALL TOGETHER and they ate it:disappointed: DD of course did NOT. They sent a note home reminding parents to make sure children wash their hands before handling and count cereal on a clean surface. LOL!  :misspeak: