imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Update, met with the school district's head of special needs education  (Read 9895 times)

Description:

Offline LianneV

The other thread was getting so long I figured it'd be easier this way. So first let me say on Monday afternoon I dropped off my 504 plan request in writing to both the principal (haven't heard from her yet) and the woman in charge of special needs education (she called within the hour to reschedule our meeting).  She was nicer and more understanding but still obviously very "this is our policy bla bla bla" Here's where we stand now.  With the doctor's letter, that I conveniently left at home and had to come back home to get it after the meeting lol, she is going to contact the school district counsel and their risk management company (am I the only one that finds that insane that a school has a risk management company on speed dial?) by this weekend.  Then on Monday she will contact the principal.  A letter will go out, AGAIN, this time saying there is additional information and that now his classroom is peanut free and again include a list of safe foods.  I asked her if parents complain will they change it and she said not with a doctor's note they won't.
So that's a great start.  ooh but get this when I was making my case for his room to be peanut free, I brought up Nathan Walters and she goes "who is that?"
She used that damn word "reasonable" again, starting to hate that word.  She said they are in the process of reviewing all their policies and what she would like to see is 2 level of policies one for the majority of the school and one specifically for children with disabilities.  I thought great, but that doesn't help me now.
Now here's where I need help.  I asked again about the 504 plan, she kept telling me I don't really need one, and she doesn't think they will do one for me because the health care plan is exactly the same.  I said I'm sure it is, but we're military and we move and I want something that will follow him from school to school and she said a health care plan would.  So that's what I need help with figuring out if she's right or wrong.  DS already has a health care plan, but I never had a meeting, or had accomodations put in it.  All we did was have the doctor's note simpley confirming the allergy and prescription etc.  More like a what to do in case of emergency, not policies for him for his individual circumstances.  I said I want a 504 plan that I will sign (I know that's not always what happens) and she then told me that a parent isn't involved with the writing of the plan.  I said I will be at the meeting and she said yes but it's not you who writes the plan.  So I said, ok so what are my rights, can they deny my son?" and she said "you can ask for a meeting, but they can deny the meeting request if they don't think he's eligible or if they feel the health care plan does enough" I asked if I could appeal that and she said of course.
So now I'm giving her a couple of days to get things sorted out with the doctor's letter then we will see.  But the clock is still ticking on their response to the 504 plan request.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
So that's what I need help with figuring out if she's right or wrong.

She's full of crap.  She may or may not be deliberately playing you.  But it doesn't matter.

They CANNOT say that they "don't do 504 plans" for ________.  Period.  It's against federal law to make blanket policy like that.

If a 504 plan and a IHCP are "just the same" then say

"Oh, good.  Then we won't have any trouble just writing it up as a 504 plan.  Thanks.  I really prefer that."

HOLD. YOUR. GROUND. on this one.  Seriously.  YOU are right, and they. are. wrong.   :yes:

(Can anyone locate Stinky's thread on this very subject?  Located in this very state, too, I might add.... <sigh>)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Other things that you need to ask/state-- VERBATIM-- at this point;

"Are you denying my son's right to a determination of eligibility under Section 504?"

"Are you stating that the district considers some medical conditions or diagnoses to be automatically ineligible under Federal Law?

Perhaps they should run both of those statements past an attorney, in fact.   ;)  Be sure to write down who said it if you get confirmation to either question, by the way-- and LET THEM KNOW YOU'RE DOING IT. 

Of COURSE you don't "have" to be included when a 504 plan is written.  Well, not technically, I suppose.  But who at the school is an "expert" in the management of your son's individual condition and all of it's quirks, hmm?

State; "Oh, yes of course.  Who will be present at the meeting who has greater expertise and experience in good management of my son's allergy, then?"  (Be ready to write down the name-- and ask for credentials if they give you one.)

WRITING the plan must, under law, be a collaborative process.  Finding eligibility must, as well.  And that is where your district is CLEARLY breaking the law.

Show them Gloucester if they drag their heels.  (Also available at Wrightslaw-- and probably here, too.) 

Next step, too, could be to call OCR for technical assistance in understanding your child's rights as they pertain to eligibility determinations and whether or not the district can deny him a meeting to evaluate eligibility on the basis of the nature of his diagnosis (which is what you're being told).

THEN, you can fire back with "That's not what I was told when I contacted the Office of Civil Rights.  Maybe YOU should call them for technical assistance yourself."

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 02:10:37 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline LianneV

She stopped just short of saying 504 plans weren't for children with ltfa.  So she knew where the line was.  What she said was typically for children with allergies, they have a health care plan and that 504 plans were usually for children with adhd who would then have their own health care plan for their meds.  So he didn't outright say it, but she certainly implied that it'd be a huge waste of time.  She did say that they might deny my request based on his already having a health care plan.  I kept asking though. I even specifically said well then why can't I have it as a 504 instead of the health care plan and she said they'd be identical and really tried to convinced me it wouldn't be worth it.  You could tell she was trying to turn me away from the idea.  So right now I'm getting his classroom peanut free through the doctor's letter.
So now am I stuck waiting the 30 days until they have to respond to me?  Is there anything else I can do in the meantime until they do?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
Yes-- keep calling and e-mailing until you get a meeting date for an evaluation.

Be pleasant... but a steamroller-- just "deaf" to hemming and hawing about whether or not it's a waste of time.

"Great!  It should be easy to go over the evaluation, then, since we're all familiar with {child}'s medical history.  I'm sure that his IHCP will make this easy for everyone."

MAKE them tell you "no."

Then record it in a letter of understanding, and bounce it back to them asap with a short time-line for response.

As long as the evaluation isn't formalized, them responding to your physician's letter the way they have is-- largesse.  Seriously.  There's no legal reason why they MUST keep doing it.  Or why they'd need to tell you if they stop.

Remember, you have VERBAL agreement from one administrator that he SHOULD qualify, yes?  WRITE THAT DOWN-- letter of understanding again!  Oh, look-- now you have something to write to them about.  ALL of them. 

What?  Oh-- your natural "confusion" about hearing so many... different... confusing.... things.  After all, the LAW seemed SO clear when you did some investigating.   OCR made it seem very straightforward, in fact.   After all, who can fault you for seeking "clarification" about this conflicting information, hmm?   Heheheh.   :evil:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:54:14 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
For some reason I cannot find Stinky's thread here -- but this is link to the original one at old boards.

It should be good help!

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php?action=view_topic&topic_id=4843&start=1

Also, sounds like the Sped lady is trying to claim that having a health care plan is a mitigating circumstance that would mean no 504 needed?  Well, she's full of goose poop.

If your allergist is willing, I'd suggest asking the allergist to write additional letter stating that you are most knowledgable and/or EXPERT in the care and management of the child's LTFA and should ABSOLUTELY be fully included in all aspects of the 504 WRITTEN accommodation plan.

Here is link to Gloucester -- give your Sped lady a copy of it as well:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/law/504/OCR.va.peanut.pdf

Meanwhile, keep on them about necessary and appropriate accommodations for your child.  Use those terms always!

Document each/every instance of safety issues, exclusion, and discrimination based on hidden medical disability that has already occurred AND what happens from now until the eligibility meeting.  Insist on eligibility meeting date.

Did you ever check to see if your school district has online policy info for their "version" of 504 procedure?

Patience and perseverence.

Outwit, outsmart, OUTLAST.

You can do this!

:thumbsup:

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Online YouKnowWho

Lianne the 504 coordinator may not even be in your school.  Our county has one that oversees the delegates at the school.

Not sure if your county is online, if that is the case, search it to see if you can find a name for the 504 coordinator.  If you have no luck, call the county office to see who it is.  Do not trust the principal to forward this information to them, nor the special ed coordinator. 

You need the 504.  Trust me - I have the IHCP and it doesn't mean diddly squat.  It is a health plan between you and the nurse, possibly from the teacher in regards to a medical document only.  It has NOTHING to do with accomodations from a food standpoint. 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Carefulmom

So that's what I need help with figuring out if she's right or wrong.

She's full of crap.  She may or may not be deliberately playing you.  But it doesn't matter.

They CANNOT say that they "don't do 504 plans" for ________.  Period.  It's against federal law to make blanket policy like that.

If a 504 plan and a IHCP are "just the same" then say

"Oh, good.  Then we won't have any trouble just writing it up as a 504 plan.  Thanks.  I really prefer that."

HOLD. YOUR. GROUND. on this one.  Seriously.  YOU are right, and they. are. wrong.   :yes:

(Can anyone locate Stinky's thread on this very subject?  Located in this very state, too, I might add.... <sigh>)

Ditto (bold near the top was mine).  She doesn`t want a 504 plan, because it holds the school accountable.  Dozens of people on this board have posted the exact same scenario over the years.  With only an IHP, if they don`t feel like following it, then you are at their mercy.  With a 504 (that may include the IHP), they must follow it or lose federal funding.  This is key.  Don`t let your son be denied the right to legally enforcable accomodations  This lady is way behind the times.  504s have been granted for food allergies for years now.

I still remember something I read on the old board.  I think it may have been notnutty who said this.  She has a great comeback for anything and really knows her stuff.  The school said "he doesn`t need a 504" and someone on our board said "needed or not, if he is eligible he`s eligible."  I love that line.

Moving on to the OPs post to comment.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:06:05 PM by Carefulmom »

Offline Carefulmom

She stopped just short of saying 504 plans weren't for children with ltfa.  So she knew where the line was.  What she said was typically for children with allergies, they have a health care plan and that 504 plans were usually for children with adhd who would then have their own health care plan for their meds.  So he didn't outright say it, but she certainly implied that it'd be a huge waste of time.  She did say that they might deny my request based on his already having a health care plan.  I kept asking though. I even specifically said well then why can't I have it as a 504 instead of the health care plan and she said they'd be identical and really tried to convinced me it wouldn't be worth it.  You could tell she was trying to turn me away from the idea.  So right now I'm getting his classroom peanut free through the doctor's letter.
So now am I stuck waiting the 30 days until they have to respond to me?  Is there anything else I can do in the meantime until they do?

I would not ask a question like "why can`t .....", because it just gives them ammunition to think of reasons why they don`t think he needs it.  I`d really try not to get into a debate about this.  So what if they would be identical?  One is enforcable and the other isn`t.  Sure, my daughter`s 504 could be just an IHP instead.  And then when they felt they didn`t need to have an epi trained adult on a field trip (she is in high school and the high school tried to take away that accomodation), with only an IHP, they might have succeeded in taking the accomodation away.  With a 504, they couldn`t.  They tried and I call the state on them.  State Office of Educational Equity Compliance called the school and said you can`t do this.  With only an IHP, dd would have then been excluded from all field trips.  Don`t let them trick you into thinking that a 504 and IHP are the same.  Even if they are the exact same accomodations, a 504 is enforcable and an IHP isn`t.  With an IHP it is totally voluntary whether they follow it or not.

If I were in your shoes, I`d try to eliminate verbal conversations and do everything by email now.  I`d still be friendly, but with email you have a chance to think through what you want to say.  Or ask us.  Also, with email, maybe you will get lucky and she will actually put some of this misinformation in an email.  Maybe she will dig herself into a hole.

And it is irrelevant that according to her a 504 is a waste of time.  I would come back with something like, according to _____ he qualifies, therefore I am requesting a 504.  It doesn`t matter if she thinks it is a waste of time or not.  If he qualifies, then he qualifies.  I`d really try and limit the discussion on it.

I find that when someone is being difficult, I can politely ignore what they say, by using the word "nevertheless".  She says a 504 is a waste of time because blah blah blah.  I reply, (totally ignoring the reasons she gave that she finds it a waste of time) "Nevertheless, I am requesting a 504."  I`d start making the word "nevertheless" one of your comebacks to them and not even bother to address why she does not feel your ds should have one, needs one, etc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:11:37 PM by Carefulmom »

Offline rainbow

She's playing the game.  I'm sure she knows that LTFA are eligible for 504...even you noted how she stopped just short of saying they weren't.

Stay firm in your request for 504.  The IHCP and 504 may be similar, however, the 504 is a better document that has accountabity. The IHCP is only overseen by the nurse...vs the 504 having a team approach and documented accomodations for both safety and inclusion (the IHCP is a nursing plan, and does not address inclusion). Also, teachers view the IHCP as a "nurse thing" that they  don't get involved in; vs the 504 that is EDUCATIONAL plan and they are a key member of that 504 team. This is critical since your child spends 80% or more of time in the classroom. Also per FAAN, most reactions at school happen in the classroom and on field trips (not in the lunchroom as people may think).

I liked the line above from Survivor:  Outwit, Outsmart, Outlast. 

The law is on your side. You WILL get the 504 if you want it. And since it's a gvt supported document by law, it is MUCH more transferrable to another schools than an IHCP which is only overseen by the nurse in your building.  The new school can review the 504; but it is something that goes with the child.  And, principals/administrators/teachers change ALL the time...having a signed 504 is key to continuity of your child's safe/inclusive plan.

Offline rainbow

Re: Update, met with the school district's head of special needs education
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 10:34:01 AM »
Believe me, Spec Ed Director *is* the expert. They just don't like to be the decision maker, because the 'building principal' is the decision maker.

They all play a game with Special Ed (IEP, 504) etc...this is their full time job.

Some are helfpul in interest of children. But many will also put you off because other administrator (principal, who is the building 504 coordinator, usually) doesn't want the accountability of 504.
IT's necessary to keep it all IN WRITING because the clock is then ticking with your records of requests.  They will eventually grant it becuase of their liability if they do not -- again the LAW is on the side of the LTFA child -- if an adverse event occurred and they refused the 504, they are going to be liable.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Well, another story in the news.  This one sums up why the classroom MUST be allergen free (and lunchboxes not opened in the classroom).

This boy got another child's snack during a movie party and almost died.

http://www.ketv.com/r/30307603/detail.html#.TyHcChQh2No.facebook

I'd bring this article to the meeting...or send it ahead of time along with the Nathan Walters story.  Remind them in a cover letter that they are refusing a safe environment for your child, something that has proven fatal or near-fatal in other similar situations.

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 06:53:11 PM »
If it were me, I'd not be fooling around with a 504, I'd go straight for the jugular: OHI under an IEP. Why tinker?

The way schools are mired in financial crises, anything that can be addressed with a 504 is probably going to be manuevered into an IEP. It's better all the way around and has enforeceable procedural safeguards.  My son's LTFA and Asthma are addressed under an IEP through OHI (Other Health Impairment).  He's scheduled for Honor's Physics, AP economics and U.S. history, (highschool), and on the High Honor Roll. IEP already addressed for next year. <shrug>
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 06:24:40 AM »
as to IEP -- all the schools we have dealt with would hardly entertain the thought of IEP for LTFA -- none could possibly "see" the link between that and educational need . . . would not even refer to eval . . . yes, individual mileage (and school district, and eval team) may vary . . .

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline LianneV

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »
Boy do I have an update to share!
I finally heard from the school district lady (coincidentally after I called her office twice today) she was supposed to already be discussing it with the principal by Monday, but she only just heard back from the attorney and risk mgmt company today.  she said they gave her lots of info to review and she's meeting with the superintendent tomorrow and will update me by the end of tomorrow or Monday.  She also said "then we can discuss the next steps for getting you the 504" a little different from the "oh you don't really need one, I'm not sure we can do one" lol
Then get this, so I got in contact with another PA mom at DS's school.  She is equally enraged.  Her DD is in the 3rd grade and even the smell makes her sick and she's allergic to a lot of things.  So it turns out when the policy changed back in October the principal CALLED her. hmm...so at our meeting, I was told she was under the impression I was informed, lady you're the one who made the phone call, wouldn't you know if you called me.  This mom doesn't let her daughter eat anything from school and sends her in with all snacks and food, so she said look as long as they don't contain nuts I'm ok with made in a facility with, which I think is very understanding of her.  Principal said oh we won't let anything in with nuts, well fast forward to her daughter telling her otherwise.  So she went to the district nurse who was just as condescending to her as she was to me.  She also went to the district woman, same results as my meeting more or less.  So now she's giving them a couple of weeks and will follow up with a meeting to the superintendent.  I told her tell me when and we'll go in together.  She's very nice and we are both thrilled to be able to team up and deal with this.  She didn't know much about 504 plans so I shared everything you guys have taught me and she will be handing in a written request for one too.  I wonder if the principal will realize I had something to do with that, since they made it to the 3rd grade without having to do one for her.
oooh and...DS told me that he had lunch with a boy I know brings his in.  So I called the nurse but it wasn't the normal nurse it was the other one who told me these matters are dealt with by the principal, never has before but ok.  So I get an email within a couple of hours saying that she looked into it and the boys wanted to sit together and the lunch lady checked it, deemed it was ok and allowed it.  She said if I prefer he'd stay with the hot lunches kid.  I wrote back on Monday (this happened on Friday) and said I would rather he stay with the kids with hot lunches.  In the same email I asked her how the 504 planning is going.  I wrote this email at 9am on Monday, still no reply to it!
I think that's it, lots to write