FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Is there a SAFE Ranch dressing?  (Read 12641 times)

Description:

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
Is there a SAFE Ranch dressing?
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »
I'm going nuts trying to find a safe ranch dressing!  Anyone know of one that's safe for PA/TNA??
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline Jessica

Re: Is there a SAFE Ranch dressing?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:55:49 AM »
We do trust Kraft for some things (including dressing so far) but for ranch dressing I buy the mix from Penzey's Spices and make it myself. We rarely eat salad here though.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:57:55 AM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
We don't do salads here often here, either.. DH will buy Walmart pre-made ones that I won't trust, but since I'm being more adventurous with food and eating LOTS, I've put on almost 20lbs and need to slim down.. so I was thinking side salads would be a good snack..but I need to find some stinking dressing lol.

2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 08:26:07 AM »
I use Kens dressings and marinades with my dd.  She is egg allergic and peanut/tree nut allergic.  we read the labels to be sure her allergens are not in the product we use.  Dd only has them as a marinade for chicken, since shehates salad dressings.  Just uses lemon on salad. 

I too usually make my own dressings for salads, generally, and not ranch. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »
I have been wondering about ranch dressing too.  We use the powdered HiddenValley but I have never given it to my DD because I've never looked into the safety of it.  I had never heard of Penzy's so I just called to ask about pn/tn.  The rep said they are pn/tn free, but the almond extract is actually derived from almonds.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Jessica, I see you have pn/tna in your house.   Have you ever had a problem with Penzy's?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:34:13 AM by jennifer41 »
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline Scout

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:22:37 AM »
dd was pa/tna until last yr.....when tree  nuts were cleared.

we have alwaya used (and its in the fridge) Hidden Valley Ranch.......

No reason not to, that I see from label...we have had no problems......

Offline Scout

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
is it the spices you dont feel good about?

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
I've just heard ppl don't trust Hidden Valley, but I think I may buy a small bottle.  Ranch dressing has always stung my lips a bit and I think it's just all the spices, etc. 

2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline Jessica

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:05:40 PM »
I have been wondering about ranch dressing too.  We use the powdered HiddenValley but I have never given it to my DD because I've never looked into the safety of it.  I had never heard of Penzy's so I just called to ask about pn/tn.  The rep said they are pn/tn free, but the almond extract is actually derived from almonds.  I'm not sure how I feel about that.  Jessica, I see you have pn/tna in your house.   Have you ever had a problem with Penzy's?

We were told by Penzey's that it is another company (or another part of their company) that makes and bottles the extracts (not in the same place the spices are processed/mixed). Did they tell you it was in the same facility? We used to use the vanilla extract and I'm pretty sure at the time I was told that it wasn't made at the same place as the almond.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline pitter patter

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »
Jessica, I didn't think to ask whether the almond extract was in a different building, so I just called again and the rep confirmed that the dry seasonings and dry mixes are in a different nut free facility.  I am so excited to get the ranch seasoning for DD!  :happydance:   How much you want to bet she doesn't even like it! 
DD:  Anaphalaxis to tree nuts, allergic to pineapple and something in cough medicine, Amoxicillin, env allergies.
DS:  NKFA, allergic to ibuprofen, asthma, env allergies
DH:  NKFA, env allergies
ME:  NKFA, env allergies, asthma
USA

Offline MandCmama

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
We are egg and peanut. We use the hidden valley packets (mainly for dip) and Kraft free ranch. Not exactly rich and creamy, but if you're trying to lose weight...
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 04:17:01 AM »
I won't say that Hidden Valley is unsafe, but I won't buy anything from them. Back before we had internet I called to ask about their dressing and they said I had to have my dd's allergist call them or had to get a note from him and mail it to them before they would give me any information about allergens. Really ticked me off so I never bought anything Hidden Valley again.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »
I think I'm going to try calling them today to see what kind of answer I can get.

2 girls & 3 boys <3

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:47 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of dressings because they often have a chemical taste to me.  And there are WAY more ingredients or they then to use substandard ingredients.  Plus for us with the egg and gluten allergies, several responses from various companies that just irritate me (Marzetti's refuses to label for shared lines or divulge that information because the FDA says by doing so it implies they are not cleaning lines).

So I tend to make many of my own dressings.  I start with one of the three sites that I list below because they often have reviewed recipes.  Though I do get frustrated with negative reviewers who review items like chicken soup, say they didn't have/use 3/4's of the ingredients and rate it poorly because they made tomato soup that didn't taste anything like chicken soup.
www.allrecipes.com
www.tasteofhome.com
www.epicurious.com
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »
I've used Kraft dressings without any issues.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin