FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: FAAN recommendations for Valentines Day School Parties <roll eyes>  (Read 18404 times)

Description: I'm assuming this means elementary.

Offline Momcat

Re: FAAN recommendations for Valentines Day School Parties <roll eyes>
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »
Yeah, if lemon bars are just as good, why isn't everybody having them?  Hm?  :pout:
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling

Offline maeve

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 11:35:00 PM »
OK...I'm going to put this out there because it's been rattling around in my head since the story about the 7-year-old in Omaha was posted:  I don't think food will be pulled from classrooms until the family of an allergic child who is injured sues the school and party planning moms.  Personally, if my child required expensive medical care and potentially long-term care in a rehab center because of hypoxia caused by a reaction, I would sue all involved for at least the cost of care.  I'm not normally a sue-happy person, but it seems that despite my best due diligence that food that shouldn't be in the classroom shows up.  I honestly don't think that until non-FA families realize that their own pocketbooks could be affected because they had to push for crap food to be served in a class, that things won't change.  They just don't think they have any liability in the situation.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline maeve

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
Yeah, if lemon bars are just as good, why isn't everybody having them?  Hm?  :pout:

Exactly! 

USA-Virginia

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2012, 11:37:05 PM »
I happen to agree with you, Maeve.

It's sad that not even the actual death of children gets through to these over-entitled under-occupied parents that promote the junk-food festival inside classrooms, (after all, those are someone else's kids and they don't even know them, so why on earth should it matter), but I think you're right.  After all, it isn't their kids who are at risk; it's OURS.

That's some kind of selfish, all right.  But it's really and truly the only logical explanation I can come up with that doesn't stretch the bounds of credibility beyond the breaking point.   :-[

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:39:16 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »

It's sad that not even the actual death of children gets through to these over-entitled under-occupied parents that promote the junk-food festival inside classrooms, (after all, those are someone else's kids and they don't even know them, so why on earth should it matter), but I think you're right.  After all, it isn't their kids who are at risk; it's OURS.

That's some kind of selfish, all right.  But it's really and truly the only logical explanation I can come up with that doesn't stretch the bounds of credibility beyond the breaking point.   :-[

I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm more than positive that if the shoe were on the other foot with these parents that they would be screaming bloody murder for the same accommodations that we fight for.

USA-Virginia

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »
I have an IEP meeting today for my daughter. (this class)

The teacher of the class (not room mom). has a highchool age son with a  peanut allergy. (requires epi) my head is swimming.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 06:09:58 AM »

its probably some old lemon bar from treat day found in the freezer.

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 06:40:35 AM »
OK...I'm going to put this out there because it's been rattling around in my head since the story about the 7-year-old in Omaha was posted:  I don't think food will be pulled from classrooms until the family of an allergic child who is injured sues the school and party planning moms.  Personally, if my child required expensive medical care and potentially long-term care in a rehab center because of hypoxia caused by a reaction, I would sue all involved for at least the cost of care.  I'm not normally a sue-happy person, but it seems that despite my best due diligence that food that shouldn't be in the classroom shows up.  I honestly don't think that until non-FA families realize that their own pocketbooks could be affected because they had to push for crap food to be served in a class, that things won't change.  They just don't think they have ;) any liability in the situation.

Im the mom slash nurse at the party. ;)

how do you think that makes me feel?

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »
But no....truly (i was jazzing you maeve, you didnt make me feel bad) my motivation is inclusion.  as a playdate mom ive always been a bit on the obsessive side people are made to feel welcome and treated with special consideration.  my father taught me it was a personal humiliation to be inhospitable or cause a guest distress.  call it a Greek. overly friendly thing. Im sick over this party.   

im embarrased for the party mom.its shameful. 

yes to maeve on once theyve gotten a taste of an inclusive fa party room  mom.  im pretty much box office poison and while i was pleasantly surprised my request to volunteer was finally taken to task cant for the life of me figure out how i slipped past the powers that be.  im going to run the party plans past the school
Nurse just so she is aware of the risk on her shift.  ill tell her in person today and remind her eith an email " paper trail". 

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2012, 07:20:54 AM »
Oh crap. im the party mom slash nurse slash mom of a fa child, huh?

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2012, 09:12:43 AM »

I couldn't agree with you more.  I'm more than positive that if the shoe were on the other foot with these parents that they would be screaming bloody murder for the same accommodations that we fight for.

No stretching credibility, just some brutal honesty. I know some of the most resistance I've had from people getting accommodations has been from actual parents/teachers of children with special needs, and in particular those who for whatever reasons didn't identify their own child or advocate for them in the same manner. On any number of special needs. I think it's called "sour grapes", and they have an axe to grind.

But that's a character issue. A person in that situation doesn't always respond in that manner. It can work the other way. It can make them more proactive, maybe even a bit of a zealot, but like I said, it's an extension of someone's CORE. Who they really are.

I will tread accordingly and keep them a safe distance positioning people with the actually ability to change the circumstances based on what is now School Policy between them and myself.

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »
Check out the FAAN "reminders" again. They have changed the first one regarding disclosing to the room mom.  :yes:  :thumbsup:

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »

so what if thr child is "OURS"?  how abour when they do routinely put their child at risk or allow  and be party to exclusion?  what do we chalk that up to?what if that is their school of hard knocks method of parenting?  what if thats what they trade as social currency and to maintain their position in the community?  what if their child IS their social currency?

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2012, 10:08:09 AM »
Check out the FAAN "reminders" again. They have changed the first one regarding disclosing to the room mom.  :yes:  :thumbsup:

oh amd we havent even tackled half the list yet....excellent.  how about that..

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
So we are excused from dealing with borderline personalities... is that it? lol!