Full body itching?

Started by Dewey, February 01, 2012, 08:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewey

The past two days or so, I've been EXTREMELY itchy pretty much head to toe - there isn't really anything that doesn't itch right now! No hives, no visible rash, my skin isn't even particularly dry or anything - just extremely, insanely itchy! Zyrtec takes the edge off the itch for a short while, but not long - has anyone else experienced this? I  have no idea what's causing it. As I said - no hives, no nothing, just itchy! Any input?
Allergic to walnuts & almonds, strawberries, shellfish, fish, coconut, penicillin, codeine, aspirin

EA's/SA's

CMdeux

Happens to me every so often.

Sometimes it seems like dry skin.

Sometimes it seems like environmental allergens.

Sometimes it seems like it might be... well, no, I have no real idea.  <sigh>

I just keep on top of it with double-dosing with zyrtec for a few days and it seems to get better.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Janelle205

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago - went with benadryl at night (not sure if it helped the itching, but I took three (doctor allowed) and that generally knocks me out pretty well.  Also slathered on the vanicream - seemed to help as well.

Macabre

I regularly have this if I don't take my daily allergy med:  Allegra. And I get it even with Allegra during my bad allergy seasons.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

krasota

I have this, too, mostly due to severe environmental allergens.

BUT (and there's always a but), if this is a new symptom, talk to your doctor.  Could be something else, like an out of whack thyroid or something.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

MandCmama

Years back I had CRAZY itching that moved from one body area to the next. No rash. No hives. When my derm scraped the cap from his pen down my arm, large wheals instantly appeared. He said I was dermatographic (sp?). He explained it as histamine just "dumping" for some unknown reason ( I had KNA). I believe I was put on steroids and anti histamine briefly.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

rebekahc

I agree with the others - sometimes it just happens.  I also agree that you should check with your doctor.  I know jaundice (even if it's not visibly yellowing your skin) can cause itchiness, so it's probably a good idea to check out other possibilities especially since the Zyrtec didn't really help.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Dewey

And today the random itching is gone, only to be replaced by head-to-toe hives.   ~)

Hooray for the randomness of allergies! /sarcasm

???
Allergic to walnuts & almonds, strawberries, shellfish, fish, coconut, penicillin, codeine, aspirin

EA's/SA's

CMdeux

Could it be the tail end of a virus?  Viral itching and hives are unfortunately common in very atopic people.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Astyas

I also have/had a problem with horrible not-yet-hives itching. My doctor put me on a famotidine and a zyrtec twice a day. Maybe that's something you can talk with your doctor about?

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview