login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Emergency Action Plan from the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network  (Read 10613 times)

Description:

Offline lakeswimr

http://www.foodallergy.org/files/FAAP.pdf

If you do not have a written emergency plan you may want to print off this one and have your doctor sign it until you can see a good allergist who will provide you with a written emergency plan. 

Offline Ra3chel

Re: Emergency Action Plan from the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 11:13:42 PM »
Would it make sense to start a thread collecting EAPs? I'd be happy to share mine.
The 3 is silent.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
I'd like to eventually make sub boards for this section and organize threads that way. If you want to post your action plan in its own thread, I can make a folder for them both to go into.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline LinksEtc

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 03:35:02 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »
There's a new format of FARE's FA action plan, or their "New Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan"
http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=234

There are changes ... for example:

- for repetitive vomiting, now they recommend epi

- they changed obstructive swelling to significant swelling

- instead of saying "after a suspected or known ingestion", now the wording refers to a suspected reaction which I think is good in case it started with a contact exposure.

- they added an "other" category -
"Feeling something bad is about to happen, anxiety, confusion"

- they added some nose symptoms to the mild category

- Now they seem to include epi for mild symptoms if they come from more than one body area.  Hmmm, this summer dd had a couple of hives and a mild,brief stomach ache ... 2 body areas? ... I'll have to ask our allergist about this at some point.

- Look at this - "Student should remain in ER for 4+ hours because symptoms may return."  Excellent recommendation about staying at the ER  :thumbsup: .... I'd prefer to see the word "patient" rather than "student" to encourage adults to carry a plan also.  ETA student is good for school, but other wording might be better for outside school.
-----------

There are other changes also ... I just wanted to point out a few.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:34:48 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 09:39:12 AM »
that new form looks really good.  Wishing I'd had it even a few days ago.  I just finished filling out, faxing, and signing all the forms for high school. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:33:42 AM »
Yes, I just finished the allergy school forms also  :-/

One more brief comment, and this is just my preference, but I kinda wish they'd left the option to epi if (ingestion/no symptoms) out of the symptom box .... like maybe below the asthma check box.

Overall, a nice plan!

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »
I wish there was a way to denote for MFA different courses of action. Peanut is automatic epinephrine whereas egg would be a wait and see even without Benadryl. I can write it so it makes sense yo me but for a teacher or other staff? I can see that being extremely confusing.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
One more brief comment, and this is just my preference, but I kinda wish they'd left the option to epi if (ingestion/no symptoms) out of the symptom box .... like maybe below the asthma check box.

I was thinking the same thing.  It is a bit confusing where it is now, almost overshadowing the major symptoms below.

I also agree that the word student should be replaced with something more generic.  I try to carry an action plan with me, and do most of the time, but have trouble finding one with adult/generic wording.

Overall, an improvement.  I like the clearer description of symptoms. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »
Just wanted to link to the new thread in main on this topic:

FARE's new Food Allergy Action Plan