FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hi I need some advice school violated egg free classroom rule  (Read 5563 times)

Description:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Hi I need some advice school violated egg free classroom rule
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »
You get different info from different people who answer the phones at the DOJ--some very good and some not as good.  I might suggest calling again and asking about links to how Title II applies to this.

Well, or more to the point, maybe this (being Title II) isn't necessarily DOJ's area of expertise to begin with, KWIM?

OCR agencies tend to take on the majority of the technical interpretation of Title II.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline olive2girls

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:04 PM »
We showed up at school this morning and had a meeting.  She said she didn't call us back on Friday because she was busy.  She said she didn't want to break the child's heart who brought the treat.  The principal told us it wasn't her fault that the cupcakes and brownies were brought in to the class.  Takes no responsibility.  She felt it was ok to take dd out of class and let her sit in the office.  She told us to get over it. She kept changing the facts she knew, first not at all, them moments before, then before lunch, then she had no idea why Olivia was in the office. I guess when you have no defence change your story to the moment.  We have such a wonderful principal.

DD sat with us in the office until we were satisfied the classroom hard surfaces were cleaned.  Took an hour.  She is in school.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »
Good strategy for today!  :thumbsup:

Ok this is exactly why you need a 504 Plan. Not child's fault -- well -- what ARE the regulations in this class for shared food?

Provide the articles about the recent DEATHS and child saved thru extreme measures (days on a heart/lung bypass machine as a miracle to save his life).  Out-of-routine shared food events are very risky for young children with LTFA.  Exclusion is not OK.  You want SAFE SHARED TREATS where you can check labels of all food shared in the class (yes, labels, so NO home baked treats with hidden ingredients and cross contamination in home kitchens!) or NON FOOD CELEBRATIONS (this is easier for you if they'll do it!).

We can help.  Start with the 504 Request.  Document not only the event, but also that the principal did not handle it appropriately (ie, however you can say that effectively, but do document it, so the principal knows she has to work WITH you on this or she will be documented every time!).

Offline rainbow

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 04:12:40 PM »
x
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:51:03 AM by rainbow »