imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: My Kids Lunch is none of the Government's Business  (Read 6953 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: My Kids Lunch is none of the Government's Business
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »
Wow.  I am speechless.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
boy, I'm in trouble today. Chocolate dipped peeps in three lunches.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline rainbow

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
Yes my school staff also seemed very relieved when I said he wouldn't be buying lunch except for on pizza days. I met with Food Services Director to arrange for him to note his allergies on his account, and allow for purchase of pizza and  ice pops only. First question he asked was, "Does your child have a 504 Plan?"  Because you need one for Food Services to make accomodations for safe food, outlined clearly in USDA regulations.

Do you think all schools follow this? I have a friend without a 504 for pn allergy and the cafeteria has a "flag" on her account alerting them of her allergy. Would this not be the same as an accommodation?

Well, ironically (or not), our school outsources food services. So, it is the outside company that is more versed on accomodations requiring a 504 Plan (though I think they'd take precautions with an IHCP as well).  But the 504 makes it clear cut - he told me that is how they are trained - that they MUST make accomodations when the allergy is life threatening, and LTFA is covered under 504.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »
boy, I'm in trouble today. Chocolate dipped peeps in three lunches.
Chocolate dipped peeps read unsafe here. :(
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA