FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Still in the early stages  (Read 3649 times)

Description:

dragonfire

Still in the early stages
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
Hi there,

A few weeks ago, I had some pineapple and noticed that immediately afterward, my hand became inflamed with hives.  A few hours later, it was on my forehead and over my stomach.  I didn't think too much of it.  A few days later, I had a fruit cocktail mix with pineapple in it and reacted in the same way-- but this time, my throat, lips and mouth swelled.  I started getting wheezy, so I told my boss who immediately drove me to the hospital.  The nurse told me that since I was coherent and didn't have any visible hives to count (just itchyness), that it was probably a mild reaction.  I gave up waiting for a doctor after a little while since my symptoms eventually went away.  What could he have told me that my normal doctor couldn't have? 

I'm now booked for an allergist in six months.  In the meantime, I'm not entirely out of the clear.  I work with pineapple almost daily in childcare.  I get other people to serve it whenever I can.  I get a mild reaction if I'm in the room where it's being eaten or served, almost like my skin gets prickly and my tongue/palate get really itchy.  Also, I feel like I get less of a reaction when it's frozen and I'm in the same room.  People didn't believe me.  Is this true?

I've also done a lot of thinking lately, now that I've been on both sides of the table.  I think that most people don't care about FAs because they don't know what it feels like.  They assume that since the people with FAs don't touch the food that they're eating, they're in the clear.  As horrid as this sounds, why can't everyone have at least one (even mild) reaction to know what it feels like to be afraid to eat something?   :-/  I'm avoiding certain brands of yogurt now because I know they produce a pineapple flavour, and I had a terrible reaction (twice!) after drinking a non-pineapple flavoured yogurt smoothie. 

Offline gufyduck

Re: Still in the early stages
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:06:08 AM »
Yeips!  It sounds like you have done a good job figuring out what is causing the reactions and avoiding it, but 6 MONTHS to see an allergist?  Can you call them and ask about cancelations?  Explain you are concerned about having a life threatening reaction and the symptoms you have?  I would have used my epi pen for the reaction you went to the ER for. It sounds like you are learning about cross contamination with the yogurt, and unfortunately it sounds like you are reacting to trace amounts. For what it is worth, my last two severe reactions have been to trace amounts, both requiring epi and ER.

I am concerned about you not having them at this point.  Can you ask your family doctor for an epi pen, or see if he can call the allergist to get you in sooner?

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »
  What could he have told me that my normal doctor couldn't have? 

In that moment, what the ER doctor could have told is to watch out for a bi-phasic reaction.  Sometimes a reaction clears up, then comes back even stronger.

I agree with gufyduck's recommendations:  call to get on a cancellation list, see if your gp can prescribe you an epi-pen.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:53:01 AM »
The only thing I'd add to to what was already said about getting an epi is if you do find yourself in the grips of a reaction like that again, and hopefully you have an epi to give yourself and use it, call 911 get an ambulance. You get triaged appropriately for observation and treatment.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
And the only thing I would add to what the others have said is a link to the Anaphylaxis Grading Chart the-clarkes.org/stuff/ana.html

Welcome!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:07:00 AM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Ra3chel

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:28:15 PM »
There's another adult here with fruit allergies who's worked in childcare positions involving food prep; she may have some more specific advice for you.

Otherwise, seconding what everyone else said--talk to your GP about an epi-pen and maybe an emergency plan.
The 3 is silent.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »
  What could he have told me that my normal doctor couldn't have? 

In that moment, what the ER doctor could have told is to watch out for a bi-phasic reaction.  Sometimes a reaction clears up, then comes back even stronger.

I agree with gufyduck's recommendations:  call to get on a cancellation list, see if your gp can prescribe you an epi-pen.

I agree.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »
There's another adult here with fruit allergies who's worked in childcare positions involving food prep; she may have some more specific advice for you.

That's me.  Until next next week, I work in a daycare.  I kind of do everything - I cook the food as well as fill in as a classroom teacher.  I'm allergic to a lot of things (you can see in my signature line.) Luckily the only one for me that I'm nastily sensitive to is apples.  Unfortunately, apples are in EVERYTHING.

My center does not serve apple products, and requires that food that is brought in to the center is apple free.  This happened after I had a reaction requiring epi, ambulance, and an er ride when a preschooler accidentally smeared applesauce on my face.  I will say that this was sort of my fault...they offered not to serve apples, but I said that it wasn't necessary.  My previous experiences were that my contact reactions were only localized, but things change. 

I'd ask your boss about not serving pineapple at the center.  Being the cook, I can say that it would be really easy to eliminate it from our center as we only have two products with pineapple - canned pineapple and sweet and sour sauce.  If that isn't an option, and you have a daily break, I would ask about arranging the schedule so that you can take your break during lunch so that you wouldn't have to serve it and the classroom would be cleaned before you returned.  I don't know about your center, but our tables and chairs are cleaned thoroughly after each meal - they are wiped three different times in a row.