Allergic Reaction Claims another Child

Started by TabiCat, February 25, 2012, 03:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabiCat

I am sorry to say that I have had to add an entry to the memory thread. 

At this point very few details have been made public. I am not even sure if this was a food reaction or another allergy to me it doesn't matter.   

-------
Amaya Jean Seraton, 8, became the most exquisite angel on February 21, 2012. While Amaya left this world unexpectedly, she was surrounded by those who love her as she made her way to heaven
http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/local/obit_detail2.htm?obitid=32570

QuoteMonocacy Elementary pupil, 8, dies

A Monocacy Elementary third-grader died Tuesday after experiencing an allergic reaction over the weekend.

Amaya Seraton was 8 years old.

Monocacy students were told of Amaya's death Thursday, according to a letter sent home to parents.

Principal Allie Watkins wrote in the letter that Monocacy is available to support families and their children.

"Together, with your support, our school family will cope with this loss," he said. "Please feel free to contact the front office if you have any additional questions or concerns or if we can assist in any way."

Reached by telephone Thursday, Watkins said the allergic reaction happened over the weekend and was not school-related.

Amaya's obituary is published today on page A-4.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sections/news/display_Comments.htm?section=a1&storyID=132251#postComments
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

momma2boys

peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Janelle205

TabiCat

I always worry when I see and post one of these that it is one of "our" kids. Not that it is any less tragic when it's not a members child, but well we have people everywhere and we don't know everyone's real world identity. 
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

GoingNuts

I always have the same worry Tabi.

And why do we seem to be hearing about more of thm lately - why isn't it decreasing?

My deepest sympathy to her family.  :'(
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

CMdeux

Me, too.  I always do a quick recounting in my head-- and worry.

My deepest sympathies to her family.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Susan

Not sure if there's more or if the stories are now being picked up by the press.
My heart breaks for this family, and all that have lost a member to this awful condition.
It seems to senseless to be cut down in your prime for no reason except that you happened to eat/drink something that so many people take for granted to be a wholesome or fun food.
What is the reason? What is the purpose? So many children die of hunger and our can die from having that hunger satified... I just can't wrap my head around this!
Sigh*
but then, I am so thankful for the precious gift of a child. Everyday I watch her grow and develop into a capable, intelegent, resourceful and considerate person and I am so amazed that our love helped to create such a person!

joanna5

Just reading these stories always gives me goosebumps.  My heart goes out to her family.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

candyguru

yes, seems to be happening a lot more often recently than before.. so terrible and sad
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Ra3chel

Is it happening more, or being reported more and on wider media platforms?
The 3 is silent.

Mfamom

good question.  I don't know, but I keep hearing that the rates of children with LTA is rising, so could be happening more I guess.

It just seems like so many of these deaths could have been avoided.  I wish allergies weren't so unpredictable and with such wide symptoms/treatment.

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview