login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Walmart Canada  (Read 1951 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Walmart Canada
« on: February 28, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
A lot of Walmart products (Great Value) have allergen warnngs on them.  I contacted them to find out about their company policy, and clarify which allergens they label for.  In other words does no written warning mean it's safe?

Apparently they have no company policy.  No warning means call them with the product in hand so they can look it up for you.   :tongue:

I explained that having the warning on SOME products will lead to people assuming that a product is safe if that warning isn't there.  She said no, people know to call.   :insane:  I said no, not everyone is as paranoid as I am.  She said in her experience people with food allergies do know to call.  So, I asked her how many of the people that assume it's safe would call her.  She agreed that was a good point and said she'd pass my concern on.

So, I guess I won't be buying Great Value products anymore.   :-/

Edited to correct italics.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:27:52 PM by SilverLining »

Offline GingerPye

Re: Walmart Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 03:40:45 PM »
uggggh.   :disappointed:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
I'd call again before totally writing them off.  If this part of what she told you wasn't accurate: She said no, people know to call. then maybe this part wasn't accurate either: No warning means call them with the product in hand so they can look it up for you.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
Getting the answer I initially wanted will not make me trust them.

There are some great products at Walmart here with the pf symbol.  I was hoping to buy some products for baking, but it's not worth the risk or mistrust just to save a few cents.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 11:36:48 AM »
Better clarify that....the products with the pf symbol are Walmart, but not Great Value, and I do trust the products with the pf symbol.